Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this 11 min video on youtube.
The best past was seeing the "dry ice blasting" cleaning method at about the 1:40 mark.
I have heard of this method but never seen it performed.

Contempo Concept on youtube also have some impressive videos of restoring other legends.

Registered
I also enjoyed watching this video and it gave me some restoration ideas for my own Supra. I even searched for some dry ice cleaning places near me. Seems to be a method used a lot in aviation engine parts cleaning.

Registered
I saw this video also, I recently restored my Supra after 28 years lol. Well not recetnly but I completed mine last year.

Super Moderator
There's a guy, named Scott Ales, who makes undercarriages look better than brand new with his dry ice methods. I've seen his work on Bringatrailer.com but, so far, have been unable to figure out his service area. I believe he posted once or twice in the MKIII forum, but he did not respond to my inquiry and I can no longer find that thread.

Ken.

From the land down under
I love dry ice....its very handy for distorting plastic bottles, and making loud noises 馃ぃ

Thanks for sharing the video...nothing nice than a restored JZA80 :)

Registered
There's a guy, named Scott Ales, who makes undercarriages look better than brand new with his dry ice methods. I've seen his work on Bringatrailer.com but, so far, have been unable to figure out his service area. I believe he posted once or twice in the MKIII forum, but he did not respond to my inquiry and I can no longer find that thread.

Ken.
Ken I believe his shop is in Florida in the West Palm Beach area

...pop the hood!
great vid... thanks for sharing.

first seeing that dry ice blasting too. i could watch that for hours. not sure how much it costs to have done, but probably cheap compared to replacing parts on a mkiv.

Registered
My father is an engineer who bulids and works on Electrical Power Plants. He told me they do this reguarlly on machine parts of the power plant to keep them clean and opearing functionally. He told me that the dry ice is usally in small pellets and these small pellets are then blasted.

Smith & Wesson Member

Reactions: okinawa-supra

Registered

This video talks about the process a little bit. Pretty interesting, just need to make it through the vlog stuff

Administrator
I used to use dry ice blasting in the 2007-2008 area. Its really a great concept and machine for doing heavy cleanup with minimal damage. There's a few places around here, generally to do an entire undercarriage its around 1000-1500 depending on how intense you want to get. Scott Ales also is the owner of Youngtimer auction, dude has sold some impressive cars.

Registered
Love watching Contempo videos - thanks for sharing

Recently had my undercarriage steam cleaned and... dry ice looks so much more effective...

Registered
I need a dry ice machine in my life...... I assume they aren't cheap....

Registered

Registered
Very enjoyable video! Now where can I snag the home enthusiast version of a dry-ice cleaner? :p
Check around for a firm doing media blasting/stripping services. Neither my mechanic nor body shop man knew of anyone in my area.Checked out a place called Stripmasters and turns out they not only do dry ice blasting but about any other media you could desire. I've been told that buying a rig will set you back around $25k so unless you plan on going into business ...... Stripmasters would rent me a rig but since I want the entire undercarriage and engine bay done and I don't have a lift I'm going to have them do it. Have an appt set up in June and an estimate of $500. Cost will probably go up after they get to take a close look.They are set up to do painting, powder coating, blasting and burn-off. Where I live, Decatur, IL, has a population of less than 70k so it's not like only big cities have these services.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts