Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i got a question. ok to start i have a 1987 toyota supra turbo and i have a upgraded ct-26. it has a 60:1 compressor whell. i havent had the car lonng and have seen that the turbo really doesnt kick in till 2000rpm in 2nd gear. i want it to be faster off the line instead of top speed. i was thinking of downsizing back to the stock ct-26 to make the turbo spool faster off the line. but i want your opinions. please help. i just want the car ttto be faster off the line but still have speed. so what should i do.

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
buy a car with a supercharger, thats what you should do.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
I think you need a different car that's not a Turbocharged car. 2000rpm is low. Most people would be happy to have that.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
I would have been ecstatic with 2000rpm. Be glad you have that. Go get a SC car or a NA car with bigger displacement if you want more off the line power.

Or just learn to drive it properly and launch it right. Keeping it in the powerband makes a WORLD of difference.

·
Escaped from infinite lag
1,103 Posts
lol i love all these posts about a suprecharger but really a lot of superchargers suck down low as well cause they are propotional to the revolution speed of the crank

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2 grand is realy quik, but if thats not fast enough, the supra or anything turbo for that matter is not for you. You might want to try a mustang.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
1987supraturbo said:
hey guys i got a question. ok to start i have a 1987 toyota supra turbo and i have a upgraded ct-26. it has a 60:1 compressor whell. i havent had the car lonng and have seen that the turbo really doesnt kick in till 2000rpm in 2nd gear. i want it to be faster off the line instead of top speed. i was thinking of downsizing back to the stock ct-26 to make the turbo spool faster off the line. but i want your opinions. please help. i just want the car ttto be faster off the line but still have speed. so what should i do.
I know how you feel man. After having my 90 Supra turbo for a year now, i think i prefer an NA car :(

I got a hold of a 98 BMW 3 series convertable. I was driving it for a couple of days and i love it so much. I love the linear horsepower & torque curve of an NA car. Instant throttle response feels so much nicer.

My car as it sit right now, spool up at 3000rpm. It sucks because you'll be going all slow and all of the sudden a kick in the ass.

Plus, Driving around in a BMW with the top down & tan leather is just a panty wetter. I think i'm going to get rid of my supra and get a bimmer.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I understand where you're coming from, but the only time you should fall below 2000 RPMs is when you're leaving a stopsign in 1st gear. Even cruising around town your RPMs should be above 2000 RPMs to prevent lugging the engine, putting stress on the bottom end and rear differential and killing your engine efficiency. If you rarely use the power of your current turbo, then you'll notice a slightly better response from a smaller turbo.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Kroze said:
I know how you feel man. After having my 90 Supra turbo for a year now, i think i prefer an NA car :(
:wtflol:

I got a hold of a 98 BMW 3 series convertable. I was driving it for a couple of days and i love it so much. I love the linear horsepower & torque curve of an NA car. Instant throttle response feels so much nicer.
your the first person I have heard say that! I love the slow slow.... WHAM!

My car as it sit right now, spool up at 3000rpm. It sucks because you'll be going all slow and all of the sudden a kick in the ass.
It's not like a light switch! just learn how to drive a turbo car... its easy peasy!

Plus, Driving around in a BMW with the top down & tan leather is just a panty wetter. I think i'm going to get rid of my supra and get a bimmer.

·
slower than a turtle
1,096 Posts
come to louisville kentucky and ill trade you cars my NA targa hits boost right after the valve seals stop leaking. but then you have to be careful because if you go to far into that boost you hit the head gasket hole but other then that your good

·
Registered
189 Posts
Kroze said:
I think i'm going to get rid of my supra and get a bimmer.
:wtf:

·
2,279 Posts
Swap in the 4.30 gears. They will make up for any slugishness off the line. If you have an auto, get a high stall converter.

·
Registered
689 Posts
how about do some engine mods that dont involve the turbo? think like a guy with an NA and fix up the engine, thats what i would do if i wanted more pre-turbo power.

·
Now with less BHG...
409 Posts
^ somewhat agree, as some of the things N/A guys do for power don't work so well with a turbo...

I'd say focus on gearing/drivetrain. Lightened flywheel, lightened valvetrain (oops, that's engine, oh well) or perhaps better rearend gearing/stall converter. That last one's been said once, but no one mentioned anything that would help the car rev up quicker....

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
i would give my right arm if my 60 would hit full boost by 2000 rpm's.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts