Supra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
For the record, I despise NASCAR for what it's done to real racing. The cars are totally uninteresting and unrelated to any street vehicle, but that's okay -- so are racing lawnmowers, but I don't hate the lawnmowers or the people who race 'em. It's NASCAR that I hate and the way they've Wal-Mart-ized racing and sucked everything of interest out of it and dumbed it down to the lowest-common-demonimator, then sold that as "racing" to the gullible american public who like to think they are "race fans."

Regarding your comment, you apparently haven't stopped to consider how NASCAR works. It's not up to the team or sponsor who wins, regardless of how capable or well-funded they are. NASCAR controls the outcomes to a great extent -- at least to the extent that they WILL NOT allow a superior team to dominate. IF Toyota (or anyone else) starts showing signs of domination or coming on too strong too early, NASCAR will make some quiet rule changes, template changes, or something to slow them down a little to keep things even -- probably keep the "newcomer" beaten down for a couple years until the fans think they've paid their dues.

If you've ever been to the fair and seen the numbered rubber duckys floating around in the circulating water bath, then you know how NASCAR wants the races run -- every car on equal footing so that anyone can win on any given weekend, and the lemming fans can pick their favorite number and favorite sponsor and cheer for them. They should just have a lottery every weekend and see who wins, then turn the TV time over to something worth watching. :D

Their motto sums up why real racer-car people couldn't give a shit less about NASCAR -- "It's not about the cars, it's about the drivers." It's family-rated WWF on wheels.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Boost Junkie said:
For the record, I despise NASCAR for what it's done to real racing. The cars are totally uninteresting and unrelated to any street vehicle, but that's okay -- so are racing lawnmowers, but I don't hate the lawnmowers or the people who race 'em. It's NASCAR that I hate and the way they've Wal-Mart-ized racing and sucked everything of interest out of it and dumbed it down to the lowest-common-demonimator, then sold that as "racing" to the gullible american public who like to think they are "race fans."

Regarding your comment, you apparently haven't stopped to consider how NASCAR works. It's not up to the team or sponsor who wins, regardless of how capable or well-funded they are. NASCAR controls the outcomes to a great extent -- at least to the extent that they WILL NOT allow a superior team to dominate. IF Toyota (or anyone else) starts showing signs of domination or coming on too strong too early, NASCAR will make some quiet rule changes, template changes, or something to slow them down a little to keep things even -- probably keep the "newcomer" beaten down for a couple years until the fans think they've paid their dues.

If you've ever been to the fair and seen the numbered rubber duckys floating around in the circulating water bath, then you know how NASCAR wants the races run -- every car on equal footing so that anyone can win on any given weekend, and the lemming fans can pick their favorite number and favorite sponsor and cheer for them. They should just have a lottery every weekend and see who wins, then turn the TV time over to something worth watching. :D

Their motto sums up why real racer-car people couldn't give a shit less about NASCAR -- "It's not about the cars, it's about the drivers." It's family-rated WWF on wheels.
Best post in a while

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
To me the real question is: will NASCAR fan grandma's pay as much for a worn out shredded tire off of a Toyota racecar as from a real American NASCAR car?

·
Banned
2,655 Posts
cock the wheel to the left and floor it for 500 miles is not racing (sorry)

·
4,109 Posts
I have to admit I do kinda like the restrictor plate racing, because you KNOW that some shit is going to go down. I also like to see them on road courses (3-4 times a year) because that's when you see who can really drive (which doesn't include the majority of them).

·
Registered
934 Posts
well SCCA does this somewat with the penalty weights... gives cars that are naturally superior then others abit (bimmer 3's to a tsx) but still plenty of opportunity for driver skills to overcome .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.