Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week the tps sensor went bad. I replaced it and the car ran fine. Today my fiance took the car out and told me it was driving fine all day and then all of the sudden it started doing the same things that it did last time. The prior symptoms were high idle and running very lean. I am not home to see what it's doing but to get a headstart what might cause the tps to go bad if that is really what has happend again?

·
Banned
1,747 Posts
it might not be the TPS, did you unplug the battery when you installed the new one? If you did that would have reset your ECU. but if it is your TPS leak your wirring look for a short or maybe O2 sensors ;)

·
Damn Spaniards
2,328 Posts
I see the problem.... You let your wife to be drive the car. :ugh2:

Replce the TPS and still have the problem = nothing wrong with the TPS unless you got a bad one. High idle ins't always a TPS problem. Was the TPS calibrated correctly?

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
its HER..just kidding

i was going to say to check the wiring as well since there might be a short some place also check the connectors to make sure there is no oxidation in there or build up of some sort and check the wires to make sure there not exposed some place .

·
Banned
1,747 Posts
GTR-33 said:
I see the problem.... You let your wife to be drive the car. :ugh2:

Replce the TPS and still have the problem = nothing wrong with the TPS unless you got a bad one. High idle ins't always a TPS problem. Was the TPS calibrated correctly?
commas, commas! please, it was so hard to read that. I got confused :(

·
Damn Spaniards
2,328 Posts
Adrian98 said:
commas, commas! please, it was so hard to read that. I got confused :(
WTF are you talking about? You must not be the brightest bulb in the box if you had trouble reading my previous post. :1poke:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
false alarm thank god. I hate electrical problems. The wifey didn't notice a vac line popped off the intake.

·
Registered
307 Posts
You can do one quick thing:

Reset the ECU - it is the second fuse (Ibelieve) (from top to bottom on the right column of the fuse box located under the hood. That would clear any warnings.
To be safe just remove both top fuses)- search in here on in MKIV.com for the ECU reset procedure.

Leave the battery cables unplugged for 24 hrs, this should reset the car to factory settings (this was a suggestion I got a while back) may be it takes less time but this is what I was told.

Check wiring since sensors typically go bad repeatedly when there are short circuits.

DO you have a Greddy BCC? IF the green and white cables are not completely spliced to the cars harness you would get a TPS failure (It happened to me)

hope this helps

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
blancovich said:
You can do one quick thing:

Reset the ECU - it is the second fuse (Ibelieve) (from top to bottom on the right column of the fuse box located under the hood. That would clear any warnings.
To be safe just remove both top fuses)- search in here on in MKIV.com for the ECU reset procedure.

Leave the battery cables unplugged for 24 hrs, this should reset the car to factory settings (this was a suggestion I got a while back) may be it takes less time but this is what I was told.

Check wiring since sensors typically go bad repeatedly when there are short circuits.

DO you have a Greddy BCC? IF the green and white cables are not completely spliced to the cars harness you would get a TPS failure (It happened to me)

hope this helps
Or he could just re-attach the vacuum line :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts