Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at work so no time to check out car farther.

Started car today-wuld not rev past 1200. Got pissed after checking everything and floored it while moving. Car reved finall but check engine light came on. Ran like crap-misfiring etc...past 2100.
No leaks. Fuel pressure is fine(40psi at idle and goes up to 48 or so when I smack the gas so fuel issues are fine).

I suspect the TPS(7 years old). CPS,coil packs,harness,ignitor,coil packs are all new. CPS is tight. Car has run fine for 2 months.
Car has a VPC and MAP sensors have maybe 3grand on them so no AFM to go bad.

I have the super monitor-I will scan for a code. How does it come up with the monitor? (never had a check engine light on this car in 7 years). I can't recall how to do it. I have limited access at work in terms of internet so I can't "snoop" around.

Its always something with this fing car.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Man I wish I could remember how to do it with the Super Monitor. I had one and it made codes SOOOO much easier.

If you just turn the key on, and hold down the first and third buttons for 3-5 seconds, the monitor will show something. Once it does this, then hold the 4th button down by itself for 3-5 more seconds and then it will start displaying codes. You can count the flashing CEL lights, but it will show on the monitor what the code # is.

I don't remember if those buttons are the exact ones to push though. I'm almost positive that's right though.

·
fbody to supra to fbody
2,015 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Couple questions: Is the Super monitor the same thing as the Apexi SAFC-II?

Cause on my SAFC-II, i have no buttons, only a dial? And, with the SAFC-II, can I check codes on there? That would be so much easier than doing that "jumping" thingy in the diagnostics box in the engine bay.....

Hey Mike, check for codes and see if code 51 comes up. If so, that's the TPS. (according to the TSRM) and talking/searching the forums. I'm going to switch out the one i have tonight and see what happens......It just looks like a bitch to get to, esp that second screw....

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got code 11????

Here is the monitor:

http://www.mk3.us/mike/mvc-022s.jpg

Goes where the clock is.

Thanks guys. I actually remembered fiddling with it today. I disconnected the TPS and it ran like crap.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
Cydnei said:
Couple questions: Is the Super monitor the same thing as the Apexi SAFC-II?....
no. it was a factory option <'88. do a search.

merely replacing the TPS does nothing. 99% of the time, the TPS is out of adjustment. adjust as per the TSRM.

mike- sounds like some wiring in the AFM (VPC) circuit has become unplugged. reving to 1200 is "normal" dead AFM symptoms.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
i agree... i had the vacuum line crack going to my wastegate, and it was just enough to throw the afm code and put the car into limp mode. and then it wouldnt rev, i could floor it and it would just stumble and not rev at all. the only reason i'm saying this is my car did something very similiar to yours and i didnt think there was any way it could be a vacuum leak, but it was. oh well, enough talking like i know what i'm talking about. good luck with finding the problem.

·
Registered
404 Posts
drjonez said:
no. it was a factory option <'88. do a search.

merely replacing the TPS does nothing. 99% of the time, the TPS is out of adjustment. adjust as per the TSRM.

mike- sounds like some wiring in the AFM (VPC) circuit has become unplugged. reving to 1200 is "normal" dead AFM symptoms.
Ah, ok, I remember now about the super monitor. And I have been searching. I'm glad that you say that about "it may be out of adjustment" I'm just scratching my head as to "how" it came out of adjustment. I just washed the car (only the outside, no engine wash) and next thing I know, it won't start. It cranks, i can hear the fuel pump, i have spark, and I have/spell fuel. It just won't start. So, I will look up the TSRM area on the TPS and go from there......

Thanks, drjonez, cause I had dread pulling that TPS and all associated with it apart. We'll see how this goes tonight.....

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks you guys rock.
Only goofy thing car has been doing lately was over boosting when warmed up. I will sneak out and check everything.

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Adam was right.

I checked the wiring going to the VPC/F con. It was loose at one connector. VOILA. No more problems.

Of course I have new damage now. I punched the air vent above the glove box and have a crack in it. OOPS. There goes my mint interior.

My car was dead this morning after jumping someone last night. Bought a new battey to replace my dry cell but its fine. Now I lost the reciept and can't take it back.

Big thanks to you all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts