Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this okay to do or will the affects of removing it make it not worth it?

This is a daily driven car, and I found that the fraction control system is a little dangerous sometime I figured I would just get rid of it all together.....

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

~Andrew :bigthumb:

·
Boost Junkie
12,693 Posts
If you have a built trans you'll be fine. If not, then leave it, but disable it in those situations where you think it may be dangerous.

Steve K.

·
Very Senior Member
10,067 Posts
Evill Supra said:
If you have a built trans you'll be fine. If not, then leave it, but disable it in those situations where you think it may be dangerous.

Steve K.
Agree.
When do you find it "dangerous"?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
VickSupra said:
Agree.
When do you find it "dangerous"?
I have gotten in the habbit of turning it off when im turining from a stop sign where a car could pop around the corner real fast. Once or twice Ive had to punch it to avoid getting rear ended, only to loose 80% of power because our car hates any acceleration under 20mph while the wheel is turned, thus activating the TC.

If I didnt have an auto I would have ripped it out long ago.

·
Registered
814 Posts
take it off, ive taken mine out a LONG time ago n ive never ran under 15pnds on stock twins or my single n the tranny is fine with 120k miles on it...bone stock tranny n stall, just disconnect the fuse, and your good to go, i took out my whole system but just take out the fuse n ull be able to throw it back in when ya want

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'd say pull it. I never had any problems when i did it in my auto.

·
Premium Member
4,972 Posts
It's hit and miss. Having personally spent over $10k on trannies, I would advise erring on the side of caution and leaving it in most of the time.

But if you have the $$ one of the best mods on an Auto TT is a stall and built tranny.

·
ur moms favourite
1,404 Posts
If you're worried removing the trac system will shorten the life of your trans and dont wanna fork the cash for a built trans, do the accumulator shim mod - Just use washers 21mm o/d, 8mm thick. It speeds up the shifts so the clutches dont take all the punishment between gears, definitely worth doing.

dammit i tried searching for the thread that explains this in detail but search aint working for me. Try searching for "how to make a340 last" in the mk3 section and you'll find it - assuming search will let you.

·
Registered
305 Posts
crossways said:
I would not remove it on a daily driver. Too much continuous wear and tear on the tranny.
Why would it be more punishment on the tranny? Because of the shock between gears when accelerating?
ShinRyu..

·
Registered
872 Posts
gmacrae said:
If you're worried removing the trac system will shorten the life of your trans and dont wanna fork the cash for a built trans, do the accumulator shim mod - Just use washers 21mm o/d, 8mm thick. It speeds up the shifts so the clutches dont take all the punishment between gears, definitely worth doing.

dammit i tried searching for the thread that explains this in detail but search aint working for me. Try searching for "how to make a340 last" in the mk3 section and you'll find it - assuming search will let you.
http://jkwebdesign.net/lsocbb/viewtopic.php?t=1915

·
Registered
814 Posts
ShinRyu...when the trac system/fuse is in the car..the car pulls timing between shifts on the auto trannies, so the car loses a little power, therefore less wear on the tranny...when u take it out the timing stays there, as well as the power, and that causes a little wear on the tranny, however, i have NEVER had a problem with mine

·
ur moms favourite
1,404 Posts
sngledsupe said:
ShinRyu...when the trac system/fuse is in the car..the car pulls timing between shifts on the auto trannies, so the car loses a little power, therefore less wear on the tranny...when u take it out the timing stays there, as well as the power, and that causes a little wear on the tranny, however, i have NEVER had a problem with mine
Wait a sec...

So you're saying that the trac ecu is entirely responsible for pulling the timing back in between gears? Not the main ecu? Are you sure?

The way i understood it was that the trac ecu is responsible for throttling back between shifts (trac throttle), but the main ECU was entirely responsible for redarding the timing.

So are you saying that if you've completely removed the trac system from an auto car, the timing will not be pulled back during shifts?

Im asking because im converting to manual soon and want to use the auto ecu if it will run well. ie. if it doesnt pull timing at certain points, my trac system is gone entirely.

·
King Ding-a-ling!
3,195 Posts
sngledsupe is correct. The trac ecu is responsible for the car slightly closing the trac tb and blowing off boost and retarding timing between shifts. I have been running with out the trac setup in my BPU car over 2 years and now my car is running a T70 on low boost 16-18 psi with no issures. There is deff more performance to be had bud I do religiously maintain the tranny fluid ect, but I am on borrowed time. RSA is right... it is a crap shoot!

Brandon

·
Premium Member
4,972 Posts
My understanding is that you do not get rid of the timing retard during shift by pulling the trac fuse. After selling my RS Akimoto ECU to blackbird, we determined that my ECU likely had the timing retard during shifts removed. His car shifted completley different with the RSA ECU than it had with the stocker. Likely why I was so lucky to smoke trannies.

Even when I 1st bought the car with no boost controller. I had the trac light come on a couple of times on 2-1 downshifts.

·
Registered
814 Posts
RSA, in my experiences and many others, the car pulls MUCH harder and shifts harder without the trac fuse, there are way too many experiences and data to deny it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts