Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime I start my car and drive for a minute or so my trac light comes on and about a second or two later my check engine light comes on. Sometimes they both go off at the same time when I'm parked at a light for more than a couple minutes. I unplugged the battery and checked my trac fuse but that didn't help. Neither lights used to come on and I don't think I've changed anything.. any idea?

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
Do you have the EGR Mod, my car will do that from time to time and then it goes off, when I check the trouble code it came up as EGR. I'm not sure how to remedy it, I put in a new resistor and it is much less frequent now.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I have a problem somewhat related, which is odd...

When I hit my trac button my master warning light will come on too sometimes... It only comes on when the "trac off" indicator is lit up halfway bright and not fully.. its really wierd, I took the top trim panel off and connected everything very tightly, then did it again... and the Trac off light was twice as bright and no master warning light... I almost think it may have to do with something being lose.. thats the only thing that seems to be causing it, but id also like to know wtf is up...

·
Very Senior Member
9,954 Posts
RSA Supra said:
Do you have the EGR Mod, my car will do that from time to time and then it goes off, when I check the trouble code it came up as EGR. I'm not sure how to remedy it, I put in a new resistor and it is much less frequent now.
I agree with the EGR possibility. Maybe the resistor is getting loose or something.
traxon - check the code. Watch the engine light in addition to the MIL - my code flashes the engine light, not the MIL!!!!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I'll check my resistor; maybe that's all it is. I can't remember when it started doing that.. it might have been after I sprayed off my engine with water awhile ago, so maybe I just got water in the wrong place or something. pooshda, that sounds like backfeed or some sort of grounding problem. Hard to say where it is though.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
re:pooshda

Ay pooshda, I had the same problem. All u have to do is tap the guage and the light will go off. There is just something loose. Nothing to worry bout'.:cool:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Simple solution.... everytime those lights come on... take a hit at the left side where the trac light is.... if it lights up even more or goes off or in between... u have the problem where a LOT of supra owners have... called LOOSE SOLDERING inside.... thats what the cause of it... it has nothing to do with the EGT bypass mod... its just that after people take them off not realizing your benging that cover a little bit each time u take it out and causing the solder to come loose over time... I've posted this a few times... all u have to do is take the panel completely out... go inside the house... get a soldering iron... make sure its got a small tip... and take that whole left side of panel apart... where u can see all the solders to that assembly... then jiggle it... u can see all the solders thats loose which will be a couple of them... CAREFULLY solder them back together... make sure ur not dripping new solder on places where there's not suppose to be solder or connecting two solder together.... if you do clean it up real good.. always double check... otherwise u might mess up the a lotta other things... WARNING IF YOU SUCK AT SOLDERING PAY SOMEONE TO DO IT... or u can send me the part and $10 + shipping and I'll resolder it for u and send it back to you :D ... anyway... all yall having that same problem yank it out... its guarantee to fix it.... forget about replacing the resistor if your having this symptom... good luck to everyone... anymore question PM me or something....

·
Registered
240 Posts
BTW this is the fourth time I'm posting the way to fix it... it has fixed it for EVERYONE so far.... so have fun soldering... :cool:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BlitzTT, thanks for the info. Sounds like that's very possible because I DO take out that panel pretty much on a weekly basis, lol, so it's about time something got loose. The only thing though.. is that the trac/engine light don't go until i start driving. And when I stop sometimes they go offf.. still think it's a bad connection?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yup a hundred percent sure it is.... becuz sometimes it doesnt come on until the car move around a littlr or hit a bump or something... thats why I say the next time it comes on tap it... it'll get brighter or dimm on u or just turn off... actually in fact if its loose just go out and start your car wait till all lights go out then if its not on or not doing it just tap that side of the panel softly first see if it does anything or tap it harder... at different area of that left side panel... pretty sure it'll cause it to come on and off.... so have fun....

·
Registered
147 Posts
BlitzTT,

I checked my engine code error and #71 came up....EGR malfunction.

Why after having the EGR diabled after 5 weeks would the engine light come on for the EGR? Why not after the first minute? Also the trac and ! are still on yet I have now pulled the trac fuse. All 3 lights stay on now everytime I start and drive the car.

Any idea on how to at least clear the engine codes and turn off these damn lights short of pulling them?

Also I have not checked to see if the soldering has come loose. I will check that next. Do you think that could be the factor in this case in light of the #71 EGR malfunction?

Thanks!

·
SpooooL
591 Posts
Trac off, check engine light

If you havent found the answer to your problem, this is what I found when I had the same problem. Behind the traction control, near the front windshield,on the driver side, a metal hose sticks out off of the trac control. Now, a rubber hose should be connected to it. Look carefully and make sure all hoses around that area are connected good. I could take some pics if you need them.

I'll take a pic of it tomorrow

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hmmmm the EGR code is prolly due to bad resistor on your mod or the resistor not even there at all so the check engine is finally coming on.... hell mine came on once like 3 month after and I reset my ecu and it never came on again and I have my EGR taken off but I never put the resistor on there either... but the trac and the ! light is prolly still the loose connection behind the left side panel... good luck!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts