Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a persistent problem with my car - the TRAC OFF light stays on, and the OD off light flashes, and if I hit the MANU switch, it doesnt appear to turn on. Not 100% sure if the TRAC is actually disabled when in this mode.

If I reset the ECU, everything goes back to normal for a couple of days, but it is just a matter of time........... The TRAC fuse is in, and everything is plugged in as far as I can tell.

Anyone have any tips on this one????

Thanks!
Al

·
Registered
116 Posts
EGR?

Hey Al. Do you have your EGR blocked off? If you do, there will be a connector that will be loose. All you need to do is stick a resistor into the connector to fool the ECU into thinking that it's still plugged in. Does your check engine light come on also?

I had this problem when I got my car as well. The O/D light would flash, trac off light constantly on, and check engine light on. I'd reset the ECU, but they would come back in a day or so. I put a resistor in the plug and the lights haven't come back since. I know those lights can be annoying. Hope that's your problem. Later.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont think the EGR is blocked - I dont think the previous owner did any small things like that. Which connector are you referring to? I am planning to do the EGR mod - put plugs on & resistor in the connector, maybe that will fix it?

Hell, whoever worked on the car left the hose going from the crankcase breather attached to the intake hose! The more boost you run, the more oil gets sucked into your intercooler, etc!!

Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
207 Posts
Pull the ECU error code, EGR malfunction is code 71. If you reset the ECU, do you trip the error code only after you get on the highway?

·
Registered
116 Posts
codes

Hey Al. There is a way to check the codes without buying anything. If you look on www.mkiv.com it should tell you how. Wait, here's the URL: www.mkiv.com/techarticles/engine_codes/obd1_codes.html

I haven't actually done it before, but it sounds easy enough.

Also, to see if you have your EGR blocked off, check out this page:www.mkiv.com/techarticles/egr_mods/index.html

It shows the different EGR mods and where the connector is that I was talking about. Your symptoms sound like that of a missing resistor. Hmm, maybe your traction control has been removed permanently? Can you get in touch with the previous owner and find out? Hope this helps. Later.

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Al,

Any fix by now?
As I got on the fwy last nite, the same warning lites that you listed, came on, on mine.
I hope that I don't have to "live with it".

Any ideas?

Update:

2 vac hoses came off, one from 'a round thing close to IAC'(top of intake housing) and the other from an adjacent unit. Don't know what the damn things are. Reset ECU... as good as new...:)

Anyway, did you get your's fixed?

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
I had the same prob my man....By any chance is your TRAC fuse pulled, blown, or missing?? when i reinstalled mine the o/d off light stopped flashing, and my trac light went away....

Hope that helps!

T6Rocket said:
I am having a persistent problem with my car - the TRAC OFF light stays on, and the OD off light flashes, and if I hit the MANU switch, it doesnt appear to turn on. Not 100% sure if the TRAC is actually disabled when in this mode.

If I reset the ECU, everything goes back to normal for a couple of days, but it is just a matter of time........... The TRAC fuse is in, and everything is plugged in as far as I can tell.

Anyone have any tips on this one????

Thanks!
Al

1 - 9 of 9 Posts