Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a cheap sz-r, Which i am thinking turning it into a track car as it has the LSD, v161 a few things which i don't have to invest in.

i Would really love to boost this thing and get it on the track for a bit of fun, Could i realistically do this for around $5,000? I don't need anymore then 500hp at the moment even 300hp would be plenty they can handle up to 500hp within minor modifications correct? Besides injectors/fuel pumps/bigger gasket i believe they can handle 500hp? I will go as much power as it can without having to upgrade alot of parts (injectors/fuel/gasket) i don't mind doing i'm just trying to do a build turbo build here so if 300hp is all i can get without spending big dollars that's cool.

I've been thinking about buying a TT Soarer with a 1jz they sell around here for 1-2k really cheap, What would stop me from buying a tt 1jz and taking all the ecu's and turbo parts and maybe even dropping the whole 1jz head on? I don't see any problems personally myself dropping a 1jz TT head on and that would cost me only 1-2k and that's with all gauges and all

Any advice on this matter would be really appercaited, Thanks.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Wait is it an NA with a v161? Cheapest route would probably be a vvti GTE swap. You can get close to 500 on stock turbos and race fuel.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wait is it an NA with a v161? Cheapest route would probably be a vvti GTE swap. You can get close to 500 on stock turbos and race fuel.
Yeah it's a na with the v161 it's a 1997 sz-r 6 speed

That probably would be the cheapest, but an engine will probably set me back what, 5k? That's still a lot cheaper then going na-t

·
Registered
176 Posts
You can pick up a used 2jz twin turbo with the harness and ecu normally for around 2500 if my memory serves me correct, you are a step ahead of the game with the v161 as that's where the true money comes in to swap from a na to tt

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can pick up a used 2jz twin turbo with the harness and ecu normally for around 2500 if my memory serves me correct, you are a step ahead of the game with the v161 as that's where the true money comes in to swap from a na to tt
That's exactly my thought I'm a step ahead already and considering I got this for a crazy price it's very tempting. I might even chuck a gte in it keep it semi street legal and put it on the road one day.

Thanks for your suggestion man going to start looking for a gte

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the best powerbands for that application too.
I'm curious i'm back into reading about 500-700hp for my sz-r, My plans haven't changed just doing some reading and came across my thread

Is it really worth going vvti? the whole time i'm aiming for a non-vvti even tho i've heard vvti does have better powerband probably feels more like a kick? That's the power i'm kind of aiming for, At like i guess somewhere around 3-5k Full boost and hits like a fucking truck, Kind of like yeah fast fast, Then just fucking BOOM. Maybe i should go VVTI as i'm chassing that?

I dont know why but i like the sounds of going non vvti, Few things i've read more parts seem to be available for non also.
Any insight? i've still got a lot to learn got about 30 pages open right now reading about builds etc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'd say it could just about be done on your budget but you could be sacrificing reliability if you're not careful. Try to source second hand branded parts over the cheapest new turbo kit you can find.

A few people have gone NA-T on the XS Power kits over here in the UK and ditch the wastegate and oil lines straight away as they tend to be the items that fail. So you could try that maybe and go from there?

A clutch is going to eat a bit of the budget as well as an ECU but I would advise trying to get the best you can in those departments, standalone ECU over piggy back every day and a nice feeling clutch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would go VVTI. Torque from it is insane no matter the mods compared to a non VVTI. Plus you will have a newer motor that is hopefully in good shape.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd say it could just about be done on your budget but you could be sacrificing reliability if you're not careful. Try to source second hand branded parts over the cheapest new turbo kit you can find.

A few people have gone NA-T on the XS Power kits over here in the UK and ditch the wastegate and oil lines straight away as they tend to be the items that fail. So you could try that maybe and go from there?

A clutch is going to eat a bit of the budget as well as an ECU but I would advise trying to get the best you can in those departments, standalone ECU over piggy back every day and a nice feeling clutch.
Cheers for you're advice mate, and yeah tbh i kinda up reailty, I know the $5,000 ain't going to cover shit lol, I'm going to do it propely changed my mind a bit.

That being said, Think im going to drop a GTE in can't decide weather non-vvti or vvti sounds like vvti is the way to go but hmm, Yeah i've already dropped a Southbend stage 3 TZ-B clutch in with a brand new OEM dualmass flywheel, Going to get a ps2000 and GTE and play with the stock power for a bit before going to hard.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Cheers for you're advice mate, and yeah tbh i kinda up reailty, I know the $5,000 ain't going to cover shit lol, I'm going to do it propely changed my mind a bit.

That being said, Think im going to drop a GTE in can't decide weather non-vvti or vvti sounds like vvti is the way to go but hmm, Yeah i've already dropped a Southbend stage 3 TZ-B clutch in with a brand new OEM dualmass flywheel, Going to get a ps2000 and GTE and play with the stock power for a bit before going to hard.
Nice plans dude, sounds like a much better path to take and just build it up over time.

I've been considering VVTi over the winter as well. Allows the turbo to boost earlier and gives some extra torque down low. Nothing but positives from it really

·
Registered
728 Posts
What exactly is needed to convert from a regular GTE to vvti ? I'm assuming head and intake cam, plus some ancillary hoses/connectors/etc. What about control from the ECU and other things ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts