Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
road hazard
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i finally returned to california speedway in fontana for another track day. the last time i was there, i had my F4i before i got cut off by a hit and run motorist and totalled it.

this time around, i was armed with a k6 gsxr1000...same red/black color scheme though.

the track day was a blast! even though there was a slight shower in the early morning, by 10am, the track was thoroughly dry and nothing but sunshine and some clouds throughout the day. it was a bit on the cold side but nothing that would've stopped the track day from continuing.

i had my suspension dialed in by racetech for $20 and it was set perfectly. the k5/k6 gsxr1000's stock suspension is pretty damn good when set properly. there is still some room for improvement but for stock forks/rear spring, i'm content for now.

the power on this bike is just phenomenal on the track. i was able to reel in most, if not, all the bikes on the straights and easily managed to hang with the 600s through the turns. this bike is so nimble, its like riding a 600 on the turns with the power of a liter on the straights.

this was my first time running DOT race tires as well. i was using a set of metzeler racetecs with medium rear and soft front. not once did they even twitch or slide. after today, i'm never going to run street tires at the track anymore. race tires just gives you way more grip and confidence.

unfortunately, not all was well during the day. out of the 3 level rotation (level 3 being the fastest group, i was in level 2), level 1 had a record 6 crashes in one day. 4 of those crashes eliminated 2 complete session because the track ran out of the 2 ambulances and we had to wait for them to return to the premises in order to continue the track event. everyone was pissed at level 1 because they kept screwing up...the major cause of the crashes was that the riders in level 1 weren't letting their tires warm up properly before going balls to the walls.

enough talk...here are some pictures.

some bike prepping...

locked and loaded...

paddock...

race tires rock!

some shots from the pro photographer...

the guy behind me is a buddy of mine on his bmw k1200r. he wanted to give a track day a try with his bmw instead of his gsxr750 race bike. for a bmw, he was hauling ass on that thing!

got a poster of this shot from the pro photographer...

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Awesome pics! I love the look of your bike with no stickers and such :)

Kinda off topic, but I spent my whole weekend at Barber's for the AMA Superbike races. All I can say is :faint: TV does nothing for actually seeing it in person....

·
Registered
365 Posts
Awesome pics!!! I am dying to get a track day in and after seeing these awesome pics I am definatly going to have to get my ass to the track. I love the look of your new bike to with the stock or race fairings. I think it was you who commented a while back on my Red and Black F4i. What would you suggest as far as getting it race ready?
Again Nice pics!!!

I just noticed looking at the pics some more we have the same sidi boots and the same handy industry stands! Now I just need a suit and i'm ready to go.

·
road hazard
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
efini/supra said:
Your bike looks amazing. I have yet to get in my first track day. Hopefully summer time I can finally take a spin at the track.
thanks efini. you should definately take the time to do a track event. its loads of fun to push your bike to its limits and ride what its made for.

·
road hazard
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BLKBRD said:
Awesome pics!!! I am dying to get a track day in and after seeing these awesome pics I am definatly going to have to get my ass to the track. I love the look of your new bike to with the stock or race fairings. I think it was you who commented a while back on my Red and Black F4i. What would you suggest as far as getting it race ready?
Again Nice pics!!!

I just noticed looking at the pics some more we have the same sidi boots and the same handy industry stands! Now I just need a suit and i'm ready to go.
i used to have your same bike too!

there's not much to it to race prep a bike. most track organizers will require you to change out the coolant to water or water wetter, safety wire the oil filter, tape up wheel weights, remove or tape up headlights, brake lights, turn signals, mirrors, etc., ensure your tires have good tread.

the F4i is a great bike to take to the track. i can guarantee you will enjoy the experience with that or any bike.

·
Registered
365 Posts
toysupra1 said:
i used to have your same bike too!

there's not much to it to race prep a bike. most track organizers will require you to change out the coolant to water or water wetter, safety wire the oil filter, tape up wheel weights, remove or tape up headlights, brake lights, turn signals, mirrors, etc., ensure your tires have good tread.

the F4i is a great bike to take to the track. i can guarantee you will enjoy the experience with that or any bike.
Thanks, I'm planning on heading maybe to Barber in Birmingham or Putnam in Indiana sometime this summer. Sounds like I just need to take some tape and wire to the track, I will be sure to contact them first and find out all of what they require. Now I just need to save up a little $$$.
The bad thing is I heard once you start going it becomes a bad addiction and hard on the wallet. But oh well better there than on the street by far.
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
nice man i wish i lived near fontana. i have a desire to go there and race one day.

~steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts