Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Punjabi By Nature
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I went to the track yesterday for the first time ever in my whole life. I wasnt too impressed with my numbers but Im sure I can improve because I was improving a lot with my successive runs. I used 50/50 of pump and 100 octane. Trac fuse out, Reset ECU, lowered tire pressure to like 22psi . My 60' times sucked ass but im still learning and I dont know if my speed is good for a BPU car(with stock exhaust though). Ill let you guys decide and help me out. Here are my results:
R/t : .629
60 : 2.546
330: 6.245
1/8 : 9.066
MPH: 88.50
1000: 11.512
1/4 : 13.544
MPH : 109.93

Now, another thing. I never drove my car out from the race track. It had to be towed because I completely burnt out my clutch. So I guess its time for a new one. I dont know which one to get and I thinking its not worthwhile to put a stock one back on. So which clutch do you guys reccomend for a BPU car. Im not gonna go single turbo or anything, so just for BPU power levels, what clutch is the best and also pricewise is good?
Let me know
Overall, it was a fun time and Im gonna go back and try and pull some better times. My main problem was traction. I couldnt hook up for shit. And I need to improve my 60' times. How do you 6speed guys launch yours and how can I improve the 60'?
Thanks
Bally

P

·
0 Posts
So that is why your car was at the shop this morning when I got here.:(
Give me a buzz.

Thanks

Tony

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
That doesn't look too bad for the stock exhaust. I am BPU minus the exhaust also and I usually run 111-113MPH trap speeds, and my best time is a [email protected] with a 2.15 60'. I took my exhaust off and ran open DP once and ran a [email protected] with a bad 2.35 60', so the stock exhaust defently hurts us.
If you get you 60' time down to the sub 2.20 range you should be running high 12's to low 13's.

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
You only picked up a little over 20 mph from the 1/8 to the traps, a more normal gain would be 24~26 mph, esp. given the slow 60'. I would expect to see 113~115 of an 89 mph 1/8.

Your clutch may have been slipping in 4th.

I have an RPS clutch, same as the one sold by TRD, stock Toyota disc and a modified pressure plate. It has survived numerous drag strip passes (although I launch kinda soft), and drives exactly like a stock clutch but with increased pedal pressure (which I like).

I've had it in for over 2 years and 10k miles, feels just like it did when first installed.

Once you sort out your clutch issues make some new runs and see where you are at.

B

·
0 Posts
Your times will be a little slow since you are very new to drag racing. I would guess your clutch was slipping pretty bad in 4th cause 109 is pretty low with an 88 through the 1/8.

My advise is to get the Arizona clutch, new stock flywheel and a Phillip Long 2Step. Once you break in the clutch just start going to the track more often. That is the only way to get good at launching a 6spd car. The 2step will help because you wont have to worry about feathering the gas on the line. You should be able to get your 60' down to a 2.1 on street tires and about 1.8 on drag radials. Good luck

·
Punjabi By Nature
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was looking for the AZ clutch but didnt know who has the best price for them. Im pretty sure my clutch was slipping in 4th because after the 1/4mile the car wouldnt even build up any boost. The 1st gear felt like it was is neutral or something. The rpm would go up when i lt off the clutch, but the car would just sit there. I need a clutch that can take a lot of beating.
Im gonna look into the AZ clutch.
Thanks for the replies guys, it reallyhelped me out. :)
Bally

1 - 6 of 6 Posts