Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing a lot of research and have read all the threads comparing turbos and spool characteristics in my quest to find the right single for my needs. I'm only looking for something capable of low 11's with trap speeds around 125-130mph. However, it seems the turbos capable of those times (I know, stock twins in some cases ;) ) have real traction issues under 60mph. Seems it almost defeats the purpose of having a quick spooling turbo because you can't gain traction anyway?
Any feedback from anyone running a 57mm-63mm turbo would be greatly appreciated. Seems something with a little more linear of a powerband might compensate for the slightly later spooling by being able to put more of that power to the ground??
Anybody had both and what were your experiences with them?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I used to have a 63 .70 a/r and on street tires I would just light up the tires at anything under 60mph. I had to run R compound to get any decent traction. Even on my 67 ptrim I have issues in low gear. My car is a built auto w/ high stall.

carlo

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
balticMKIV said:
I used to have a 63 .70 a/r and on street tires I would just light up the tires at anything under 60mph. I had to run R compound to get any decent traction. Even on my 67 ptrim I have issues in low gear. My car is a built auto w/ high stall.

carlo
Thanks for the input. What boost levels were you running and relatively speaking, is there much of a difference in the 67P-trim?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
You definitely don't want anything less than 61mm for your purposes. Max T61 traps are going to be around 131-132 mph or so on a stock motor. I trapped 127 mph at 26 psi with a far from perfect launch. When you go smaller than a T61, you get the feeling you are beating the engine to death to get high HP (you are!). A nice medium sized turbo can make high power at lower boost and therefore less stress on your engine. With the great spool of GT wheel turbos these days, I think a Precision 63 or 67mm would be the ultimate street turbo. The T61 is still awesome though and never intimidating except sometimes at high boost. When you hit the gas you go NOW, especially on a cool night!!!!

I have noticed in many cases that larger turbos (especially when they have large a/r housings) tend to make more peak torque than a smaller turbo at a given HP level, although it occurs at a higher rpm. So when the boost does hit, it hits HARD with the larger turbos instead of early. A friend of mine (ProjectMKIV>R1) said his traction problems got WORSE with his 71 GTQ compared to the 67, even at a similar HP level since the turbo hits so hard.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Epic said:
Thanks for the input. What boost levels were you running and relatively speaking, is there much of a difference in the 67P-trim?
Thanks
I was running 21 psi with the sp63. There was a small sacrifice in spool upgrading to the larger turbo, but the high end more than made up for it. With the 63 the turbo went from 0psi to full boost so fast that the tires could not handle the sudden increase in power while I find that the 67 is much more linear enabling a bit more traction.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Epic said:
Been doing a lot of research and have read all the threads comparing turbos and spool characteristics in my quest to find the right single for my needs. I'm only looking for something capable of low 11's with trap speeds around 125-130mph. However, it seems the turbos capable of those times (I know, stock twins in some cases ;) ) have real traction issues under 60mph. Seems it almost defeats the purpose of having a quick spooling turbo because you can't gain traction anyway?
Any feedback from anyone running a 57mm-63mm turbo would be greatly appreciated. Seems something with a little more linear of a powerband might compensate for the slightly later spooling by being able to put more of that power to the ground??
Anybody had both and what were your experiences with them?
Thanks
I run a t60-1 and traction is alway a problem at low end with street tire at 15psi. Anytime i floor it it goes side way. the only time I don't have issue with traction is when taking off normal.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Go with a 66-67mm turbo and get into the high 10s on decent tires and LOW 11s on DRs. Want traction? Then run DRs on the street - Nittos work in the rain and won't kill you. Also look into the RaceLogic Traction Control box - it will save your life.

Fact of life - power has to be put down to go anywhere and LOTS of power is tough to put down! That means sticky tires and a traction control device is a VERY good idea. I'm not kidding when I tell you it can save your life if you use it and preventing just ONE accident is enough to pay for it.

Oh and the 71GTQ does NOT "hit hard" :rolleyes: Drive a T78 if you want to get hit from behind by a Mack truck,m the 71GTQ rolls into boost pretty smoothly and is full steam by around 4600RPMs. I've posted dyno and data logs showing spool in the Dyno section just last night... For what this guy is looking for I'd go smaller than the 71GTQ. My T78 had a vertical boost spike at abut 4200RPMs thanks to the big AR on the back. A turbo of that size with a better AR would be perfect for his needs IMO and spool well.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BLKMGK said:
Go with a 66-67mm turbo and get into the high 10s on decent tires and LOW 11s on DRs. Want traction? Then run DRs on the street - Nittos work in the rain and won't kill you. Also look into the RaceLogic Traction Control box - it will save your life.

Fact of life - power has to be put down to go anywhere and LOTS of power is tough to put down! That means sticky tires and a traction control device is a VERY good idea. I'm not kidding when I tell you it can save your life if you use it and preventing just ONE accident is enough to pay for it.

Oh and the 71GTQ does NOT "hit hard" :rolleyes: Drive a T78 if you want to get hit from behind by a Mack truck,m the 71GTQ rolls into boost pretty smoothly and is full steam by around 4600RPMs. I've posted dyno and data logs showing spool in the Dyno section just last night... For what this guy is looking for I'd go smaller than the 71GTQ. My T78 had a vertical boost spike at abut 4200RPMs thanks to the big AR on the back. A turbo of that size with a better AR would be perfect for his needs IMO and spool well.
I saw your post in the dyno section. Seems like a great set-up. I'm definately leaning towards the 67mm P-trim turbo but have been considering the 63mm as well. I never had anything on my other 97 but DR's because I rarely drive it and will do the same with this one. I ordered some 18" I-forged aeros about a month ago and will be wrapping them with 18" BFG's so I'm hoping that'll help;)
I only plan on running these at the track as well as I'm not as concerned with my times as I am the car looking good and performing respectively.
Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
balticMKIV said:
I was running 21 psi with the sp63. There was a small sacrifice in spool upgrading to the larger turbo, but the high end more than made up for it. With the 63 the turbo went from 0psi to full boost so fast that the tires could not handle the sudden increase in power while I find that the 67 is much more linear enabling a bit more traction.
Exactly what I was thinking. What A/R housing do you have on your 67?
Thanks

·
Registered
538 Posts
Running a pte57, .58ar I believe. Car is insanely quick, and has traction issues at 60mph..sometimes even faster speeds depending how you hit it. When I hit thirds it spins for awhile. Tons of fun, it hits very hard. Bigger turbos come in hard, but nearly as hard as this. Don't get me wrong, big turbo cars are fast, but they need more room.

-Corey

·
Boost Junkie
12,385 Posts
My car had traction issues, even at 60mph on the stock twins. Now with the drag radials, it seems like things are better.

You gotta pay to play.

Steve K.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I have traction issues in first gear and some of second with my 60-1, but then again im untuned on 14 psi :) I say go with a 63. The thought of wanting more lag for traction sounds silly to me, just get drag radials :)

-Mike

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Decided to go ahead and order the Horsepowerfreals kit today with the P Trim67mm with the .68 housing. We'll see how it works out. :)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Epic said:
Decided to go ahead and order the Horsepowerfreals kit today with the P Trim67mm with the .68 housing. We'll see how it works out. :)
awesome choice!!! I am sure you will have no regrets.

carlo

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a t61 and traction isnt to bad. I mean if i mash the gas pedal to the floor in first or second it will break them loose but i usually just roll into the throttle. As long as you know how to drive traction wont be that big of an issue with decent street tires. People think there are only two throttle points, cruising and 100% try easing into it and traction will be there

1 - 19 of 19 Posts