Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for an open trailer. Like 35 40 feet so I can carry two cars. My know it all friend says that i need a different license to tow that. Do I. I dont think so cause people tow long trailers all the time with out having anything. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I think that you need a different liscense when you go over a certain weight, and if the trailer has air brakes. This is purely speculation on my part, but I have a friend that tows a 35' trailer with two skid steers and a bunch of "shit" loaded.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its going to have reg drum brakes no air. I was just looking at my ID and it says 26001 lbs or 16 people. I figure supra 4000lbs viper 4000lbs and trailer 3-600lbs. I have no idea what the trailers weigh. Thats well under the 26k mark.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Check with your local authorities. I know i have a special license for towing anything over 750kg (I'm dutch ;)). A trailer that can haul 2 cars will weigh around 1100kg empty. With my license i can tow 3500kg. I doubt that i'd be able to legally drive with 2 cars and a trailer behind any car.

Just because u-haul rents it, doesn't mean you only need a basic license. I very much doubt it. The airbrakes part is bullshit imho but i would guess that you basic license doesn't permit you to tow a big trailer with 2 heavy cars.

·
Registered
556 Posts
They let 70yo blind f'n ancient P.O.S.'s that shouldn't be on the road ... tow 35ft+ 5th wheel travel trailers, that weigh as much or more. Can't see why you'd need a special license to transport personal vehicles.

·
...smell like cabbage
1,097 Posts
Just because u-haul rents it, doesn't mean you only need a basic license. I very much doubt it. The airbrakes part is bullshit imho but i would guess that you basic license doesn't permit you to tow a big trailer with 2 heavy cars.
Why would U-Haul rent something that only like 2% of the population would be able to use?

·
Wingless FTW
594 Posts
I'll trade you my parents for your parents.

·
Wingless FTW
594 Posts
Deal.

·
Kirisute Gomen
2,747 Posts
It all depends on your state.

Florida for instance, if you're going to be using a single axle trailer regularly, they recommend a D Class license, which to most people in this state have E Class licenses.

I would check with your local authorities in regards to the situation.

If you do need to up a from your standard license to the next. Usually the class is just like your permit test. You read a book, answer some questions. Get up to the next class. But from on, you need more than that.

Is that legit enough for you?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts