Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont normaly own automatics but i am stuck with one for my daily driver. Its a 97 galant es. As in most automatics the tranny oil lines are connected to the cooler that is part of the radiator. My question is doesnt the tranny oil soak heat from the radiator. Wouldnt a separate cooler mounted at a distance provide better cooling. There are a lot of decent coolers at places like pepboys and others for cheap.

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
on a car like a Galant under normal operation (read not trying to tow a barge on land) your temp wont get above 200 degrees or so usually more like 150. coolant should not be peaking at some temp much higher then 200 so the soak should be minimal at best. Plus, the radiator is located in fornt where the most air is passing through so bank on even lower temps.

Having a seperate cooler for the tranny is good idea for pople towing, or using high tranny temps like in race aplications, but in normal day to day Mitsu style?? nah, thats just fine like it is.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
understood, but my location in the south and my line of work which requires a lot of stop and go, my temps can get up there

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
right, like TurboMax said it wont hurt, but I still dont think its necessary even with start and stops. if you do get an external/dedicated cooler, then make sure you get one with a fan as well. If your doing a lot of stop an go, you will actually be hurt by an external with no fan. Right now when you are stopped your radiator fan is at least pulling air across it.

But IMO, I think its overkill. Unless you have measured your tranny temps and you are seeing CRAZY high numbers are towing a lot of weight or have a very modifed motor, I sincerely doubt its necessary to have a dedicated external unit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts