Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i was going to get powerhouse racing auto tranny cooler but my local bodyshop wont install it for me cuz they dont trust PHR's quality so i called up sound performance and suprastore, they both told me to get B&M units. I dont see any B&M cooler w/ fans on(suprastore recommonded) and i dont know the proper size i should get(i remember suprastore told me something like 2000w and 9x12 someting soemthing). I plan to mount it at driver side air duct because i still have stock SMIC. ANy help plz...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey, don't know about what your "bodyshop" said, but I think Powerhouse is one of the better shops around.

Anyway, did you ask Jarrett what kind of cooler he's using? Bet you it's a B&M or something similar.

Bodyshop doing tranny work? :)

Melvin

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the record I purchased the 24,000 gvr tranny cooler from B&M from Summitt Racing. It does not have a fan. It was a very simple install(just a bit dirty with tranny fluid dripping as I removed the hoses. It comes with an installation kit. I put it in the drivers side next to the radiator.

Adam

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is cooler bigger the better. I notice B&M have a 28000w should i get that instead of 24000w?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. Bigger is better. The only catch is that the 24,000 GVR one is the largest that comes with a mounting kit. If you get the 28,000 one you will need to get the mounting kit as well which is only about $15. If I were to do it again I would get the bigger one.

Adam

·
Poser Extraordinaire
350 Posts
if you look to the right (driver side) of my fmic, you will see a tranny cooler, this is on the of the cheapo $25 pep boys units, but its not that bad. I'm actually using it as a power steering cooler because the FMIC removes the power steering cooler.

I'm not recommending that you go with this type of cheapo tranny cooler, but just wanted to show you the options availble. BTW this is the smallest of 10 sizes, there are some really big ones (14 x 24")

Ting

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey reed. thx alot. BTW, do u happen to know that if the 28000w unit would fit on driver side air duct. size is 11x8x1.5

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
or i should go w/ even bigger one like the perma cool unit w/ fans.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The kit that I bought 24,000 GVR is about 6 inches wide. There is definitely another 2.5 inches available. I doubt that you would have any problems. You may want to get in there an check. You will have to get in there when you install it anyway. I seriously doubt that you would have any problems though.

Good luck,

Adam

P.S. You can not go wrong with the PHR model with a fan. It definitely sounds like a higher quality unit than the B&m. It is all just a matter of how much you want to spend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts