Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 na with a TT swap. I am trying to decide if I should swap in a 5spd na set up or leave it with the TT auto tranny. I know that the 5spd set up wont hold as much as a 6 speed one, but with the cost of the 6 spd swaps these days the 5spd is much more affordable and I don't plan on keeping this one for ever. What do you guys think? The car was originally a 5spd na to begin with so I have that going for me. I just think that it will be more fun since my last TT was auto as well and I believe the na 5spd will hold around 500hp right?

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I actually like my automatic. Dont get me wrong, I'd prefer a 6spd, but the auto is very nice. Personally I would no longer be interested in buying a TT supra if I learned that it had the n/a 5-spd. I would much prefer the tt auto.

·
ur moms favourite
1,405 Posts
There is still quite a bit of speculation on how much the n/a 5spd (w58) box will take. It will all depend on how you drive it really. If you dump the clutch into every gear and do heaps of burnouts you'll kill it before long, but if you're careful im sure it will last.

If you're up for a challenge, try to find one of these; There is an old version of the W series box that is entirely cast iron, and is said to be indestructable like the getrag. There is also a W series box that has an alloy case like yours, but has cast iron sandwich plates in the middle, aparently this toughens them up a fair bit also. Sorry, but Im not sure exactly which model either of these are (w55/w57 etc), or which vehicles they come from. If you find out, let me know :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts