Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quick question- as far as i know my clutch is toast- however since i haven't actually had the car up on a lift how can i be sure its not a tranny issue.

So what are some signs to look for in regards to tranny problems?

If I continue to drive my car with a slipping clutch could this cause tranny problems?

thanks y'all
DC

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
tranny

If your clutch is slipping, I doubt it will hurt your getrag. if, however, the dual mass flywheel springs are too soft, that would hurt it.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks blackbird- you've helped me in the past i think as well

the reason my concern grows beyond the clutch- which btw i'm replacing with a new TRD single disk and an OEM flywheel-
is that since a first bought the car- it is almost impossible for me to stall out-is this clutch or tranny?

·
Registered
922 Posts
If you can let out the clutch with the tranny in gear and it doesn't stall, sounds like a very worn clutch. If you couldn't shift or it grinds or it pops out of gear that would be a tranny problem.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe someone could help me with my problem. When i move the shift lever from the neutral position to where you just feel resistance to putting it into 1st gear, i hear(and feel) a "thud". Also, when cruising in higher gears, if i lightly get on the gas and then "slightly" get off the gas, i hear the same "thud". Any ideas guy's??? The dealer said "New tranny", but did'nt give an explaination as to the problem. They really want to sell me a new tranny..............Please........someone........any ideas???

Oh, it's a '94 TT 6spd. w/63kmi and all stock.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that 'thud' that your describing is pretty normal.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine makes that thud too sometimes; I've heard that it's pretty normal.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine makes a thud, so has every 6sp MKIV I have riden in, and everyone I have asked. Annoying, and SOUNDS bad though don't it? You can keep it from thudding/clunking if you shift real slowly. By then you should blip the throttle to bring the revs back up before lifting off the clutch.

These cars are such a handful.......

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yup

Well.. I would do the clutch and see if this is your problem first, as it is cheaper than doing a whole trany. i too just killed my clutch. i get slippage when running at 2500 - 3500 RPM.

Also the clunking sound is normal. My car has 25,000 miles on it and it clunked since the day I got it. it is hard going into 1st, and clunks sometimes going ino second. also when I let off the gas, it lets out a clunk form the rear. I think this is the diff, but do not know exactly.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Really??!! It's hard to believe that the sound that my tranny has been making is normal, but, from what everyone has posted, i guess it's so. I've only had it for a few weeks now, and i have not been driving it because i wanted to find out what the problem was. Yeah, it does sound like the thud is coming from the rear, so maybe it involves the diff. also? I wish someone had a difinitive answer to what exactly the "thuds" from the 6spd are. It just seems odd that a japanese car that retailed close to $50k would have something funky like that....

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
R5-Turbo said:
It just seems odd that a japanese car that retailed close to $50k would have something funky like that....
Actually it's just the Getrag Thud... blame the Germans for that one :D

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, i guess i feel better that maybe my transmission isn't falling apart!! I wonder what high priced german cars have the Getrag "thud"? I can just imagine a guy looking at his owners manual for his new M5, and it saying "zee thunking dat you heer frum zee transmeeeshun ist normalun!!!" and the guy thinks to himself,"well, i did only pay $85k for it anyway....."

·
Registered
265 Posts
R5-Turbo said:
Well, i guess i feel better that maybe my transmission isn't falling apart!! I wonder what high priced german cars have the Getrag "thud"? I can just imagine a guy looking at his owners manual for his new M5, and it saying "zee thunking dat you heer frum zee transmeeeshun ist normalun!!!" and the guy thinks to himself,"well, i did only pay $85k for it anyway....."
Actually I remember someone posting on the MKIV list about a BMW motorcycle that uses the getrag 6 speed or something like that. And people were complaining about the same noises. My tranny makes a howling sound when it's cold and I shift gears... :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts