Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I know this has been asked and is posted on mkiv about having a lightweight flywheel and making the chattering noise. I have search and some of the post are pretty old. Anyways, here is my concerns. When I got the car, the guy told me that it has the RPS C/C clutch in it but when I open up the clutch cover to take a look, it has a red clutch cover so I'm not sure what it is. It has a lightweight flywheel in it however but again don't know what brand. I have had the car for about 6-7 months now. Ever since I had the car, at idle, it didn't make any sound at all. Then when I moving from low RPM in 1st gear or so, it would make the chattering sound which I knew was normal. Once I got moving, it went away and can't hear it.

Well over the weekend, I am getting a lot of noise from the tranny at idle. When I push in on the clutch it would go away. The noise is weird. It would come and go at idle. For example this morning, I started it and drove to work, at idle it didn't make any noise. However yesterday, I drove it and at idle it was making the chattering noise. Then when I speed up at around 2500, the chattering would be gone but anything between 1200-2400, it would chatter a lot. If I hold a constant throttle pressure it wouldn't sound so bad.

my question is, why is it making this sound now and not before? anything broken? flywheel bolts? etc...any test I can do or perform any maintainance without dropping the tranny. I checked the tranny fluid last night and it was good. Just did an oil change as well. Any info is much appreciate

·
WWW.X2K.DK Check it
163 Posts
hi.

sorry that im asking after so many years but did you find the problem? i have the exact same problem with my supra.
changed the gearbox as i thought it was that.
changehd the clutch. didnt help.
now im thinking my flywheel is doing the noice. but didnt have time to change it to the stock one.

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
tough to diagnose through text, but im thinkin flywheel or pilot bearing/throwout bearing.

i had 13 lb flywheel for 2 years and it rattled alot at idle (not when engine was cold. rattled insane when warm)
and always rattled when launching at those same rpms, 1000 to 2000-2500~

also under decel from high rpm (8k down to 5k sounded like marbles in a can)

·
Registered
686 Posts
A lot of times the lightweight flywheels make that noise no matter what happens. Mine gets worse as it gets hotter. I n very hot weather it rattles like crazy, in cold weather it's not so bad.

·
Registered
429 Posts
That does not sound like the normal steel ball in a can noise that my car makes below 1k RPM when the clutch pedal is not press in. I hope you figure it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts