Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a auto 88 n/a mk3. And when i swicth gears from park to like reverse the whole car like jerks. also does it when i shift to drive. what could it be?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
KICKER MKIII said:
i have a auto 88 n/a mk3. And when i swicth gears from park to like reverse the whole car like jerks. also does it when i shift to drive. what could it be?
Sounds like something either broke or needs adjustment that concerns your line pressure. There is a cable that goes from your tranny to the throttlebody that is a line pressure controller. Have a professional tranny shop look at it.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
stroked_7m said:
Are you talking about the kick-down cable?

Because if so, then no that would not fix his problem by adjusting it. If not then i have no idea what line you are talking about.

Btw Does your car idle high?
No, not the kickdown cable. There's supposed to be some other cable that was spoken of in another thread that increases line pressure with throttle angle.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
stroked_7m said:
Are you talking about the kick-down cable?

Because if so, then no that would not fix his problem by adjusting it. If not then i have no idea what line you are talking about.

Btw Does your car idle high?
when its warming up its around 1.5- 2k
but when its warm its around 1k. so i should bring it to a tranny shop?

·
Registered
249 Posts
that is a little high of an idle......700-800 would be better....but increased line pressure is not such a bad thing......

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Bzdaname said:
that is a little high of an idle......700-800 would be better....but increased line pressure is not such a bad thing......
No it's not but it might be his problem in experiencing a hard gear engagement.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Suprawill1 said:
No it's not but it might be his problem in experiencing a hard gear engagement.
More than likely it is.....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Bump..ok so throttle valve cable and kickdown cable must be the same thing,i also have this intermittent jerk into reverse sometimes.
Anyone else had this and fixed it?

·
90T
426 Posts
There is no kickdown cable on this car, the shifting is controlled by the AT ECU. That cable controls line pressure only. As noted, check for slop in the driveshaft, center bearing, and diff. Those would be the first suspectss

·
7M Fanatic
3,064 Posts
There is.....
As giltheartist said, it's not called that, but it functions the same way.

But jerking going into any gear sounds like a clogged filter.

·
THE LAST NA
1,289 Posts
Your car a340e auto trans will jerk when you have 1.5k rpm. Soyunds like you throttle position sensor t.p.s. Might be off adjustment or need replaced. Idle control valave seems ok if the throottle eventually drops to a 1000 after a long period...

Appears to me you need a tps adjustment or replacement....if the computer does not read the tps is closed (when the foot is off the gas) then it will high idle

I had wicked high rpm starts back in my day.....I would turn off car , unplug battery for 30 seconds and start car and problem went away. Next start, engine was back to high revs.....

Edit.

Quick way to adjust tps is set engine in diagnostic mode. If the the sensor is off you will not get a normal check engine blink,( I think it reads error code 51, throttle not closed or a/c on)....adjust tps until check engine light blinks normal.....

Ta da, you just used your check engin ligh to adjust tps instead of using thickness gauges. Life hacks son.

i now have engine starts at 1,000rpm not 1500.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts