Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am having trble finding information on what trannys will work when swapping in a 2jz into a mk3. i know this might be a question that has been beat to death, but i am new to this board and supras in general so please help.

what, most likely is the stock tranny in my 87 supra non turbo?

will it mate to a 2jz with a differnt bell housing?

basicly i dont have the money for the 6spd(v160, i think), and i dont wanna go auto. any help is appriciated.

thanks
brent

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the stock tranny in your NA MK3 is the same as in the NA MKIV. its a w58, and you shouldnt have any problems finding a w58 bellhosing that will bolt up to the 2jz and to your transmission.

·
Registered
427 Posts
While it's true you can use your existing W58 transmission as explained above, I'd recommend upgrading to an R154. I'm speaking from experience here; I had a late-model W58 (out of a JZA80) behind a 2JZ-GTE in my Mk2 Supra, and I sheared three teeth off 3rd gear after a few months. The Mk3 is a much heavier car so you're even more likely to have problems.

Once again you can use an R154 out of an MA70 but you need the 1JZ-specific bellhousing. You will also need a 1JZ-GTE flywheel, and you can use a 7M-GTE clutch.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
what about pressure plate which would you use in this set up

1 - 4 of 4 Posts