Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tranny rattleing!!!????!!

What in the world could be wrong? It only rattles when I am moving forward and let off of the clutch ! I just replaced my fuckin tranny fluid that cost me like 120 bucks and it didnt help at all!
This is frustrating! any ideas? It isnt the u joints, it is coming from the tranny, and I am pissed!

I went under there and messed with all of my drivetrain trying to figure it out and the only odd thing I could find was that the driveshaft has about an inch of play in either direction.

Please help.:(

Cory

·
3,148 Posts
You have a spring flywheel. As they were they get noisy and the play gets worse. Most of the noise comes when you start engaging the clutch. It 's normal and you will need to replace it when you put in a new clutch.

Later, Steve

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I couldnt reply sooner . So everyones rattles huh? That sucks and makes me feel better at the same time.

Thank yall very much! I would have had to change the tranny fluid anyway. Just did it a little sooner than expected.

Thanks

Cory
O yeah ,I do have an aftermarket clutch.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much would a typical clutch job cost on a supra ? If you go with TRD?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve Jarvis said:
You have a spring flywheel. As they were they get noisy and the play gets worse. Most of the noise comes when you start engaging the clutch. It 's normal and you will need to replace it when you put in a new clutch.

Later, Steve
Is this the cure? Mine clunks rattle and clangs bad. Its kinda embarassing and it sucks having to let the clutch out all nice and slow everytime just to make it not do that. My friends 300z whose Tranny's about to go out doesnt even sound this bad.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine's doing something similar.
Driving: Rattles (almost a grinding noise) from 1500-2500
Idling in Neutral: Same noise except I put in the clutch and it goes away. :confused:

I'm diagnosing the throw-out bearing. But I'm just going to go ahead and change everything while I have the tranny out. I've been told the RPS stage 3 sprung hub is the way to go.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the throw-out bearing something that normally goes in these cars?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I heard lightened flywheels in our trannies suck. I was going to use that clutch on the stock flywheel. How many ponies will it hold up to? I'm looking to hit low 11's someday. :)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hate to bring this up again but I have to replace my clutch soon and am wondering how to fix the rattle while the tranny was out.

Thanks

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just did a new stock flywheel with RPS stage 3 PP and Arizona disk,all new bearings,and mine STILL rattles.Ive learned to deal with it.

Joe

·
Registered
109 Posts
Howdy Folks -

I'm running a RPS Stage III with the Mueler flywheel - good combo. It's holding up to abuse, and has pretty easy (light) engagement. The light flywheel let's the motor rev easy, and once off the line, gear transitions are smooth. And it's pretty reasonably priced too!

Of course, with lowered rotational mass, it's not as easy from a dead stop, - not difficult once you get some time behind the wheel though. I had a TRD twin-disk, and drove an HKS triple disk - the TRD was decent, the HKS kind of a bear (unsprung!) for everyday street driving.

Oh, and like Tozer and several other have said, this tranny just naturally has some rattle - add a clutch setup with a lightened flywheel, and it compounds the existing noise - not a big deal when you consider how stout it is.

FYI, years ago I had a C4 vette with the ZF6 tranny - upgraded to a DRM setup using a lightened flywheel - same thing, the already "rattley" clutch got significantly louder.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Even the stock z06's have clutch rattle, its just part of owning a sports car. Get used to it.

·
supraman
632 Posts
Tranny rattleing!!!

I have the same problem with my car the transmission sounds like its all loose
and needs to be tightened or something when idling in neutral like a box of nuts in a tin can. I also hear a click/click sound when I change gears at low speed releasing the clutch and when I start to accelerate suddenly almost like somethin needs tightening below the gear box.:(

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
As I have seen it described, we have a LUK dual mass flywheel which is sprung. That is the rattling sound and is inherent by design. From what I have read it was an engineering decision to have an unsprung clutch and a sprung flywheel to get some of the rotating mass or weight off of the tranny side to save wear and tear on the synchros. If I am incorrect, I am sure someone will set me straight. Just think of it as an "exotic" sound that lesser cars just don't have.:D
Barry H.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts