Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm replacing my engine in my 94 TT and everything went smooth until we were taking the engine out we noticed that we were not able to turn the flex plate. We cont. to pull the engine and trans out and now are back to separating the engine and trans. I thought for sure I would be able to use extra large breaker bar (5 ft steel bar) to move the crank but it wont budge. I will take any advice I can get. I am a working mechanic so I have tons of tools and have access to anything.
So what do I do to get to all the bolts connecting the flex plate to the tq converter if your engine is locked up? I know Im not the first to experience this issue?

--Update after some more research I have come up with removing all the housing bolts and try to pull the bell housing off w/ the tq converter still connected. If this works then I should be able to use a long 17mm wrench to remove the flex plate bolts----

·
Blood for Blood
8,321 Posts
Ok spooldoc from what I have read in your thread here you have a 94 TT Auto .. so thats a 2jz-gte with an a340 auto trans.

Sounds like your trans in in Park... Why dont you take the bolts out of the TQ with the trans in N so you can spin it... then take the bolts off the trans to the motor and it will come apart... then you can turn the motor very easy with a 22m socket and a ratchet or bar...

http://www.97supraturbo.com/Tech.html

^ here download and read... it shows just how to do this...

·
Registered
790 Posts
The torque converter should spin regardless of whether its in park or reverse or drive, your problem is with something else on the engine side most likely. Why are you replacing youe engine?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I seperated the trans housing from the engine but am still stuck with the tq convertor and flex plate stuck on. The ENGINE is LOCKED up and will not move I have even attempted to stand on a breaker bar. The engine is trash maybe some good access. but the tq converter is a brand new boost logic convertor (3800 stall)

-There is not room at all to fit a hack saw blade to cut the bolts

-Only option I see is disassembling the rotating assembly (removing the obvious seized bearings) and I should be able to rotate the crank which will turn the tq converter and allow access to the bolts through the bottom hole.

Let me know if anyone else has any input or ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok spooldoc from what I have read in your thread here you have a 94 TT Auto .. so thats a 2jz-gte with an a340 auto trans.

Sounds like your trans in in Park... Why dont you take the bolts out of the TQ with the trans in N so you can spin it... then take the bolts off the trans to the motor and it will come apart... then you can turn the motor very easy with a 22m socket and a ratchet or bar...

http://www.97supraturbo.com/Tech.html

^ here download and read... it shows just how to do this...
Umm i dont think you read the post. Engine is locked up please explain how putting the trans that is not connected to the engine is going to free the rotating assembly. Ive seen this on everyday cars that come in and out of the shop. One of the seized bearings is more than likely welded to the crank.

What you have posted above is how to remove a working engine and trans w/ no problems internally..

·
Blood for Blood
8,321 Posts
^ your thread is not clear at all... what happened to the motor... you made it sound like it was a running motor that you took out.... so you broke the motor and now its stuck? well flip it on the stand and rip the block apart... when you get the head off and the lower and upper oil pans off you will be able to get all but 1 or 2 of the bolts to get the tq off... but you will have room to get them off with a wrench ... so put the motor on a stand... and take the head off ... intake... turbos... and then the lower and upper oil pan... then you will have a ton of room to get the TQ bolts off... simple.

·
Banned
1,062 Posts
pull the bottom end apart and disconnect all the rods. If the engine is trash then if won't hurt to beat each one of the pistons up into their cylinder allowing the crank to spin. O just pull the crank with converter all as one.

HTH,
Seth

·
Registered
229 Posts
sounds like its time to make a tool!i doubt you'll be able to get the rotating assembly apart because some of the rod bolts will be inaccessable since its locked up. i would get an old cheapwrence the sae size of the torque converter bolts and cut/weld/reshape it to what you need to get the bolts off. also, where you at in va. and what you want for the head?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts