Supra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so a little background. BL auto, about 25k miles on the trans. New FTI converter this year, the car was BPU for most of the trans life, but for the last 3 years, probably 8k miles at the most has been single. 2 of which it made 680, and now 840 this year. I obviously dont beat the hell out of it or run it on kill constantly but probably about a month ago i was cruising down the highway at like 65. Not sure if the trans was locked or in OD, but it started slipping up to like 4k, i left off, put it in neutral, pulled over, back into drive and it was fine for another 40 or so miles till i got home. Since then Ive done multiple highway pulls, and 1-3rds WFO, and a bunch of normal cruising w/o a single hiccup. The other day i was driving home from a carshow, popped it from drive to neutral, let the RPMs settle, and gave it a nice rev to about 5500. When i revved it, the car kinda jumped forward a little and sorta shuttered. I let the rpms settle, and back into D. It started acting a little weird, shuttering and slipping from a stop untill about 20mph. Came home, parked it. A few days later, i actually forgot it happened until it started doing it again about 10 miles in the trip. When i say it slipped, it would slip up like 250rpm max and was super inconsistent but shift fine. I pulled over, checked the fluid, it was fine. Started it back up and drove it a little further to the store i was going to and back home which was another 20 miles and it was completely fine w/o a single issue. It never got hot, new fluid and filter x2 this year and the fluid is fine still. Im just assuming 3 years of 3x the power it was meant for. Jw if theres something i can do to check it out w/o pulling it out besides changing the fluid and filter again?

·
Boost Junkie
12,614 Posts
Could actually be a speedo issue. Keep an eye on your odometer and see if it is working when you have issues. The speed sensor signals go through the odometer and if you have bad solders it will make the trans do weird things because it won't get the speed signal. I had to replace my odometer back in 2005 because of this same issue.

Steve K.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts