Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 95 6-speed and I find out my transmission leaking oil. It's leak very very slowly! After being park a night, it's leaks about 3-4 dots of oil on the floor. Anyone know what happen or have same problem before? Any comments or advice will help!! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Probably the seal for the shifter shaft that goes into the trans on the back end up high. Change it the next time the trans is out for a new clutch.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
One more thing. You can buy dye from www.eastwoodco.com that glows under a black light. The dye is only a couple bucks. They sell a black light kit for $80, but you can buy one for around $20. Easy to see where the leak is coming from. You can get dyes for all of the fluid systems in the car. Works nice.

·
In The Sonoran Desert
437 Posts
shift shank seal. Curt posted the part numbers on the MKIV generation section sticky. Relatively cheap. There are a total of three servicable seals on the transmission. If you're gonna pay someone to drop your tranny, do 'em all.

I had both of my rear seals replaced for like $300 at altered atmosphere. This was over a year ago and since then not a drop.

Eric
95TT

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankyou supra400hptt and Eric95TT!!

supra400hptt !! What is dye and black light kit? I really don't know what is it? Can you tell me more on that?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
The dye is a small bottle, ounce or so, of liquid you put in the system you want to check. There are dyes for fuel, coolant, trans, differential and brake systems I think. After it circulates around, you shine the black light on the component you want to check. In you case the trans. In the dark, the black light will cause the dye to glow brightly where ever it is leaking. In my case I had a fuel leak that wasn't dripping but I could smell it. I put the dye in the gas tank, let it circulate, then ran the black light along the fuel lines and rail. I was able to pin point the leak at one of my fittings that was defective. Black lights are used in night clubs a lot because they cause white objects to glow in the dark. They look similar to a flourescent light bulb with a purple tint. Eastwood has a nice one with some bottles of dye for $80. The dye is only a couple of bucks and I've seen black lights at spencers in the mall for $20. So that is a cheaper way to go. Black lights are also known as ultraviolet (UV) lights. Works great to pin point leaks. Here is a pic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts