Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since the economy is just too rough to sell a car right now I'm looking into making this one a little more street-friendly.

Question is what tranny is "streetable" and can hold still hold 800+rwhp? It currently has an ATI TH350 which is perfect for a track but really isn't great for much else. This was built as a 1/4 mile car so I would still like to be able to run it on occasion.

·
9's Club
5,340 Posts
Since the economy is just too rough to sell a car right now I'm looking into making this one a little more street-friendly.

Question is what tranny is "streetable" and can hold still hold 800+rwhp? It currently has an ATI TH350 which is perfect for a track but really isn't great for much else. This was built as a 1/4 mile car so I would still like to be able to run it on occasion.
unfortuanlly, you are making a little too much power to go into a rebuild auto reliably, so your best bets are 4l80e or going witha 6spd manual...none of which are going to be cheap at all.

·
Finally up and running!
3,997 Posts
You could do a Built 200r4 or a Built 700r4 Hell, you can use some of the parts from your th350 (kickdown cable, converter, DS and adapter plate setup come to mind)

There is always the gear vendors overdrive setup.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could do a Built 200r4 or a Built 700r4 Hell, you can use some of the parts from your th350 (kickdown cable, converter, DS and adapter plate setup come to mind)

There is always the gear vendors overdrive setup.
Oh how I wish we have somone in Houston that could re-work this for me after the meet.

·
Registered
904 Posts

Not trying to sound like a dick but your question is flawed.If the economy is so bad and you can't take a hit because of the presumed value of your car,why would you dump more money into it? Who cares if its not as "street friendly"as you want.It is what it is,you bought it as it is(tranny configuration).Enjoy it for what it is and save yourself some money ok.:chairshot

·
Slingin pole
1,975 Posts
Sell The Th350 Set Up Out Of Your Car And Buy The Boost Logic Transmission "built Toyo Auto" And For Your Asking Price Your Car Will Sell Over Night.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not trying to sound like a dick but your question is flawed.If the economy is so bad and you can't take a hit because of the presumed value of your car,why would you dump more money into it? Who cares if its not as "street friendly"as you want.It is what it is,you bought it as it is(tranny configuration).Enjoy it for what it is and save yourself some money ok.:chairshot

Tough times don't mean I'm moving out on to the street or going to let some moron ass-rape me on my selling price it just means I'd rather be safe than sorry. Since Supras are not quick to sell at the moment I'd like to get some use out of it. Being that I work 6 days a week and don't own a trailer the more streetable tranny is the logical solution. You never know I might even drop in a 3.4 stroker with a 47-88....

·
Finally up and running!
3,997 Posts
Im telling you, find a GM shop down there and pick up a built 200r4. GNs use that tranny into the 9s. A local builder has run the same one (untouched) for years in his buick t-type, and runs 10.50s like its his job. His new motor setup should get him into the 9s with it.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I would say 6 speed. It will increase the value of your car and also make it the most streetable out of all of the options said

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Excellent! Basically I'm looking for something that can hold 900 wheel HP and still function on the street with an O/D for freeway driving. Current set up is an ATI TH350 drag tranny with a 3,500 stall and an ATI 9" converter.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Your demand the power of a th400 + gear vendors or 4l80e. Frankly if you do a th400 + gear vendors you better have a tigher torque converter due to the heat and driveabilty. Then you won't launch with the tigheter converter then you will have to use som "NOS" to help you at the line.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I am currently putting in the MSP TH350 in my car. It's a great tran's. There are things you should try to get the 350 to work before going 6 speed or anything else, that will simply be big bucks not to mention with your kinda power and going 6 speed means go ahead an chalk up a $3,000 clutch in the mix too.

We are taking my car step by step and will make the 350 work an be streetable. I plan on doing a TRD 6 speed rear, and 3,000 stall in the end. Which i have talked to a few owners on here with that setup in a 350/400 and they love it, say it cruises down the highway at 75mph tacking only 2800-3000. My current Boost logic auto with 3800 stall see's 65mph at 3,000rmps and 75mph is looking at 3300-3500. 80mph is nearly 4,000 so it's not much better than your 350.( being im talking about on the gas, not just coasting.)

Now WORST case scenario which would cost you the most amount...around $3,300 would be gear vendors OD kit( like guys above said ) with smaller stall, and 6 speed rear. That would be a street highway cruising beast. Also that tranny you got Paul has ran nearly 1600hp threw and it holds up amazing. If you make your current tran's work you can go 4788 with no issues an street cruise down the freeway at 90mph. If i can remember off the top my head i think a GV OD kit is around 2500$ And get a local, tust worthy, tran's shop to install it. It should be only around $1200 in labor tops. It's not a very difficult job.

I take it your running a the 350 on the stock auto rear? That would explain 65-70mph to be around 3500rpms lol.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
hah no the most expensive route would be a 4l80e.
Ya true haha. Then 6 speed is a close ass 2nd.

1. I would try a 3,000 stall with 6 speed rear. I think that alone will keep you plenty happy.

2. Talk to a local tran's guy about prices on the gear vendors kits. And install.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts