Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current setup is a 2JZ-GTE w/ the w58 transmission(I know these things are terrible which is why I am planning to get rid of it sometime before summer so I could turn the boost up..) I am trying to decide to either get a R154 or a V160. But also seeing if any of my W58 stuff swaps over to help out the cost..?

What else would I need other than the R154 itself & R154 bellhousing?

and if I decide to go with a V160 instead, what else would I need to complete the V160?

And a price range on what I might be spending for either in the end would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

· Happy as hell
3,029 Posts
The R154 would be the best route. You would need the bellhousing ($350), a driveshaft, and a new clutch kit. Estimated total cost would be $1750. To go the V160 route the tranny alone would cost you about $5500. Go the R154 route, it's just as strong of a tranny and a damn sight cheaper.

· Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The R154 would be the best route. You would need the bellhousing ($350), a driveshaft, and a new clutch kit. Estimated total cost would be $1750. To go the V160 route the tranny alone would cost you about $5500. Go the R154 route, it's just as strong of a tranny and a damn sight cheaper.

My buddy has a brand new V160 sitting at his house he's willing to give me a damn good deal on! However, I have found a r154 bellhousing for 20 bucks from a local guy. I was already planning on getting a new clutch and flywheel. What driveshaft do I need? My currently set up from the W-58 won't work??

Thanks Abe!

· Happy as hell
3,029 Posts
I don't know what driveshaft you'll need, but I know you can't use the one for the w58 since it's much smaller than the R154.

Shawn, the R154 has been known to put down some very high numbers through it (700+ RWHP). Personally if you have to choose between the R154 and the V160, I'd go the R154 any day unless money was no object since the V160 costs about $5000 more than the R154. With that kind of difference you can have a fully built R154 with a very nice carbon carbon clutch and a few other goodies.

· Registered
107 Posts
My buddy has a brand new V160 sitting at his house he's willing to give me a damn good deal on! However, I have found a r154 bellhousing for 20 bucks from a local guy. I was already planning on getting a new clutch and flywheel. What driveshaft do I need? My currently set up from the W-58 won't work??

Thanks Abe!
I'm no expert but I think you will need to get a diff driveshft for the front either way unless you go V160 with a 6spd diff- do you have a 5spd lsd rear or ? Are you gonna put in a 6spd diff? Stock twins or big single? Semi daily driver, track car or once in a blue moon cruiser?- figure out what you want as the end result and work backwards- keep reliability and driveability in mind.

I suggest you drive a R154 and then a v160 and see what you like better

:soapbox:
I'm done now.

· Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm no expert but I think you will need to get a diff driveshft for the front either way unless you go V160 with a 6spd diff- do you have a 5spd lsd rear or ? Are you gonna put in a 6spd diff? Stock twins or big single? Semi daily driver, track car or once in a blue moon cruiser?- figure out what you want as the end result and work backwards- keep reliability and driveability in mind.

I suggest you drive a R154 and then a v160 and see what you like better

:soapbox:
I'm done now.
I've driven plenty of v160's but never an R154. I have no idea what rear diff I have at the moment. I am running a big single. Its my semi daily driver. Drivability and reliability are very crucial. I am probably a little over 400 horses and I want my tranny to be able to retain it all. I know the V160 is the more expensive route abut I can get a brand new 0 mileage transmission for 3500 brand new on the crate from toyota. Just thought I might have to jump on that deal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.