Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone elses transmission get warm or hot sometimes? I have about 91k miles on my 91Turbo... I have found that if I have been driving it a while the shifter and the area around my shifter gets particularly warm. If you unbutton the shift boot and let air come out very warm air comes out pretty fast... any ideas?

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
my shifter stick gets hot and i always keep my hand on the shifter and i can feel warm air.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can anyone else help with this?

·
Your ignorance...
399 Posts
Check the fluid and change the filter, if it's an auto. If 5sp, just change the gear lube. If it isn't that, maybe it's just your exhaust heat coming through the hole there, it DOES run right next to the tranny, pretty much...

On a related topic:
Does anyone know the proper fluid temp for an 88 Auto tranny? I have a temp guage laying around that I plan to install, but I cant find what the optimal temp is...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Oil temp shoud stay around 165-180 for longevity. If you are feeling warm air come in, there is a boot under/in the tunnel. Yours might be ripped. I don't feel any air come through mine (AT).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
after I put the short shifter in I know the rubber boot that it came with was loose but I have been noticing that my shifter gets pretty warm... Ill try and change the tranny fluid. that is one thing I have not yet done. Ill be replacing it with synthetic tranny fluid. Anyone know how many changes it takes to flush ALL the tranny fluid?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
The tranny gets hot because of the difference between rwhp and hp. If that is say 10 hp at cruise (something like 10 000 Watts) thats the same amount of heat output as about 7 kettles. That makes your tranny hot fast!

·
Union Proud
656 Posts
mullenc525 said:
The tranny gets hot because of the difference between rwhp and hp. If that is say 10 hp at cruise (something like 10 000 Watts) thats the same amount of heat output as about 7 kettles. That makes your tranny hot fast!

Huh? Something about kettles and popcorn and jiffy lube or something like that.

Your tranny should heat up, it's a moving system just like your motor. If you've got an AT, check your tranny cooler and the lines to make sure it's not leaking anywhere, and you don't have a hole in your cooler from that time you hit a bird. Either way, change your tranny fluid, even if the heat isn't above normal levels, it's still good preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
probably has a lot to do with the exhaust. that old catalytic converter loves to soak up heat and radiate it outward. since the trans casing is aluminum, which is highly thermally conductive, it'll get nice and toasty as a result.

the only solution is to get rid of your catalytic converter. au revoir. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thermactor said:
probably has a lot to do with the exhaust. that old catalytic converter loves to soak up heat and radiate it outward. since the trans casing is aluminum, which is highly thermally conductive, it'll get nice and toasty as a result.

the only solution is to get rid of your catalytic converter. au revoir. :)
I did, I have 3" turbo back... the downpipe completely elimnated one and the other was cored... it still heats up like a mofo. I also have a manual, not auto...

I am gonna change the tranny fluid soon, tires as well... anyone have any recomendations for the tranny fluid change? Tips and tricks?

·
Check Your Face!!!
1,417 Posts
hey fanatic head on over to royal purples website and check out ther synchromax synthetic manual transmission fluid, its got additives to a normal synthetic gear oil, good stuff apparently.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts