Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all... got abit of transmission problems....

When my supra is cold.. say first thing in the morning if i start it and try put it in reverse or something its really hard to put in if it even goes in... but after it warms up abit it just goes back to normal and is fine... anyone got any answers for me?

Just dont want anything to stuff up...

And not even sure how to check the transmission fluid...

Any help would be much appreciated.

James...

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
You can try shift to 3rd or 4th Gear to start, then try to shift to Reverse.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that seems abit easier... but i also wanna know why its doing it all of a sudden as it used to be fine...?

Thank u very much

·
When cars say, "NO MORE!"
2,112 Posts
i would change the trans fluid...there is a drain plug and a fill plug...drain it out of the lower plug and after it drains put that plug back in....then open up the upper plug and pour the trans oil in until it starts coming out...let it drain for a few seconds and then put the plug back in.

generally when it feels tough to get into gear this is your problem

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,097 Posts
One small edit to the method.

FIRST: remove the fill plug. (Just in case you can't get it off for some reason, you don't want to find this out after your trans fluid is drained.

You may want to take a look at this thread in the FAQ section of this site:

HOW too Change Your 6 Speed Toyota Supra Turbo MKIV Getrag V160 Transmission Fluid
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251284

Definitely use the Toyota oil...heard nothing but bad things from people trying to use different synthetic fluid in the V160 trans.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks very much for that.... just wondering though... until i get it done is it dangerous to drive around for the mean time? probably bout a week... or shud i jus not drive it till its done?

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,097 Posts
I could not tell you that for sure. If the oil has broken down, or something contaminated it, then driving it around isn't going to help the transmission at all. But since this is just a "cold" thing, you may be just fine driving it around.

BTW: How cold is "cold?" I had to drive my car (when I moved in to a new house) this last January when it was about 10° F outside. I let the engine warm up in the garage, but the transmission was *very* slow to shift. If it's really cold outside, you can expect the shifts to be harder until things warm up.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Definitely drain the fluid and inspect it for any contamination. Fill it up with the Toyota V160 fluid or the royal purple and let us know if that cures your issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts