Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
411 HP GSXR / 203 HP Vrod
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you do? Here's the 411... I had a performance shop (Altered Atmosphere in Maryland) purchase a Supra Shortblock from Jim Coleman Toyota in Bethesda, Maryland back in February of 2003. The Shortblock spun a Thrust Bearing in October 2003 with 2,000 miles on it and the Crank walked on it. Now, I told the guys at Altered Atmosphere that I need the original receipt to prove to the folks at Jim Coleman that my Shortblock was bought from them, but Altered says they can't find the receipt. I then went to Jim Coleman Toyota with my receipt from the Shortblock install but they say that I need the receipt from Altered which states that a Shortblock was purchased. Currently, I'm getting the Serial Numbers off the Shortblock to prove to the Management at Jim Coleman Toyota that I indeed got it from them and maybe they'll get off their asses and check their computer. Jim Coleman also told me that they only keep records that go back 6 months. Bullshit! For tax purposes they have to have something! What should I do? Keep in mind that I'm almost expired with my 12 month warranty on this Shortblock...

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
that really sucks. i'd say find a lawyer friend to go with you and walk down to their parts department and make a fuss.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Yes, threaten litigation. But also be prepared to do this just in case they don't get their heads out of their asses!

·
Banned
5,064 Posts
I suggest going after Altered since there the ones that sold you the short block and probably turned a profit on you, hence they sold you the defective s.block, they should be the onces dealing with Jim Coleman, since they made the original transaction with the dealer.

valT. :mad:

·
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good idea Val/Drew... I want compensation! The latest update is that the Wholesale Dept. from Jim Coleman is looking for the receipt after Mike Mahaffey from Altered explained the situation. The problem is that there are millions of receipts and there is a discrepancy over whether the motor was bought in Jan or Feb 2003... What a mess!

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
I thought businesses paid taxes quarterly, and not yearly. I might be wrong. Could you fix the issue by rebuilding the bottom end or are the main caps trashed?

Eric

·
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cowboy Bebop, I haven't had a chance to take a real good look at the damaged shortblock, but my mechanic showed me how the Thrust Washer had spun and the Crank walked. Since then I have shipped Ryan Woon my original shortblock to have the Carillo H-Beam Rods and the .020 JE Pistons installed. I'm about 10 days from completion on the new setup but I still want something to be done about my $2,100 loss... Oh, by the way, Jim Coleman told me that there will be no refunding of any monies. At best, I will receive another faulty new shortblock... Just what I needed.

·
Banned
5,064 Posts
Bad SP74 said:
Cowboy Bebop, I haven't had a chance to take a real good look at the damaged shortblock, but my mechanic showed me how the Thrust Washer had spun and the Crank walked. Since then I have shipped Ryan Woon my original shortblock to have the Carillo H-Beam Rods and the .020 JE Pistons installed. I'm about 10 days from completion on the new setup but I still want something to be done about my $2,100 loss... Oh, by the way, Jim Coleman told me that there will be no refunding of any monies. At best, I will receive another faulty new shortblock... Just what I needed.
put that new short block on ebay. At least you'll regain something.

vnt :D

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Bad SP74 said:
I'm getting the Serial Numbers off the Shortblock
I am 99% sure that the replacement blocks have no such numbers. Only OEM engines have serial numbers.

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
Re: Re: Trashed Shortblock Revisited...

FYRARMS said:
I am 99% sure that the replacement blocks have no such numbers. Only OEM engines have serial numbers.
Both new short blocks I put in my car had a serial number similar to 9999999 cast into them..... i.e. no serial #.

Andi

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
3,488 Posts
If the crank walked, the motor is useless as far as I know. You should threaten litegation on the company who actually sold you the product first, second, threaten the dealership for lying about records. Try it, see what happens. Let us know.

Joe

·
Wheel Whore
2,318 Posts
Bad74, just curious because I'm about to drop a new shortblock in my auto, but did you have the block inspected before you put it in? I was about to do so, but until I read all the shortblock horror stories about bearing clearances and what not so mine will be inspected. Just don't want to be in the same boat after all the money invested.

·
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First off Andi and Firearms, you are correct about the Serial Numbers. They do not exist on the shortblock. There is 0123456789 stamped on the motor and on the front of the shortblock there is a 7 digit number stamped for bearing replacement I believe. I will in all likelihood sell the new shortblock when I get it. SupraWillis, as for my shortblock that failed, it was never inspected at all. I have threatened litigation with Altered Atmosphere, but at this time Jim Coleman Toyota is still looking for the receipt. I wouldn't recommend ANYONE buy a new shortblock from Toyota. Build your old motor.

·
Sooooooo JDM
1,221 Posts
What I have been doing is stamping my own serial #'s on the blank pad below "12345.." It at least let's me keep track of blocks that I have clearanced. As far as your options go, I would take the new shortblock and run. By the letter of the law (Toyota's), it's an "OEM replacement". If they demand to see the vehicle, they could easily pass it off as "modded" and contributing to failure. HD clutches, different balancer, there are ways accelerate thrust bearing failure. Just out of curiosity, did you bypass the clutch safety switch? If not, it's a good recommendation to make sure oil gets to both sides of the thrust bearing on startup. I know how you feel, it's worse for me as the engine's I have been blueprinting are going in IS's. If they fail, they are going to have no recourse with Toyota.

Ryan

·
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The motor is totally dissasembled at this time so the only thing Toyota needs to see is the shortblock. I have been told by Jim Coleman Toyota that they cannot find any receipt of my shortblock purchase and Altered Atmosphere says the same thing. Now what? Litigation? Spend $1500 for a lawyer over a $2000 case? This doesn't look good?

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
Sorry to hear about your short block failure. AAM is a bullshit shop. I wouldn't be surprised if the motor never came from Jim Coleman. I've had my share of problems with them in the past. They have a few good mechanics but their customer service over shawdows the good.

G

·
0 Posts
wonder if anybody here on the forums has ever had to return a shortblock back to Curt? and how did that process go?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts