Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TRD NON BIG ASS SWAYS and TITAN SWAYS

Anyone have any first hand experience on both? Does one handle way more than the other and how much better?

·
Registered
329 Posts
sway bar is a band-aid solution to shitty handling. get right suspension first and then complement that with a set of sway bars. some people run without a rear sway bar at all. people that drag race dont use the front either. they help but they wont do wonders. it depends what you want to do with the car and what you expect the car to do in return. just because its bigger doesnt necessarily mean its better. material used can compensate for size and reduce weight as well.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I've got TRD swaybars on my car. I would think, since TRD is practically OEM, hence gains are decent BUT still far from being optimized for track use. I have it on with HKS DRAG coilovers and the ride is fantastic were it not for the rather old R-compound tires I have on my car.

The Titan stuff probably have a more aggressive feel / offer more roll control but also affect overall ride-handling balance to be firmer.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have TRD installed & drive on the street only.

Handling - Improved, on a scale of 1 - 10..... Before 5..... After 7.5 very subjective

Vehicle has less body roll thru the corners

Ride quality not any rougher than the stock sway bars.......umm.... the ride quality may be slightly improved

If you are looking for improved handling on the street w/o a lot of expense, I highly recommend TRD

No experience w/ Titan

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
Sway bars should compliment other suspension mods. Your coilover choice will have the most effect on handling AFAIK. The same TRD sway bars were used on the old JGTC Supras, if that tells you how well they work. ;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I was just wondering if the titan sways out performed the trd sways thats all. I have trd sways, Tein cs coilovers, trd front strut bar, cusco rear strut bar and du-luck cross bar. Thanks again for the input!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have Titan sways with tein flex coilovers. The Titans are hollow therefore light for their size. They need attention every couple of months. Have to check the bolt tightness and grease the bushings. The titan swaybars basically get rid of any body roll. The tires break loose before I notice any body roll. I'm using Kumho ecsta one size bigger then stock.

·
Registered
319 Posts
well body roll can cause tire lift in a hard turn. no body roll does make for a harsh ride on roads that have ruts worn in them especially if you are crossing the road diagonally. the sways can be set to the lightest position and that is better for street driving.
the sway that makes the biggest difference is the front one.

Post your question in the track and autocross section and you will get more knowledgable answers. Spell checker?

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
Body roll is rarely the cause of "tire lift". In almost every case of tire lift I've ever seen, it is caused by an overly stiff suspension, with very heavy springs and stiff sway bars. So the suspension cannot keep the tire on the surface but allows it to lift. An optimally soft suspension will actually maximize traction and tire-to-road contact....like the new KW/Robispec coilovers I just put on my Supra. I'm on stock sways BTW and since mine is not a hardcore racecar I have no interest in stiffer sways. The KW/Robispec spring rates are FAR lower than what I had with my previous Tein HA's (at least 30% lower) but the car handles WAY better, and is actually more comfortable on the street, almost a "plush" ride now. But as mentioned above, it is all about a balanced system and not just throwing one component at the problem.

·
Registered
329 Posts
stiff spring rates are used only to cover up shitty valving on cheap suspension systems. you want the shock to do most of the work and have a soft spring.

the titan one being hollow and light is a good thing but having a solid sway bar will not give you much of an advantage if the materials of both sway bars are the same. simply looking up theory on torsion or grabbing a 200-level college "strengths of materials" book will prove this. majority of the load, like 95%, is carried by the outside of the radius. this means that a solid bar will be a bit stiffer but a hell lot heavier.

there is way too many variable for someone to give you a simple answer unless they run exact same setup as you, even tires, and only difference is sway bars.

after doing my bushing install i havent even installed my rear sway bar. so far on the street it handles nicely and likes to "rotate"

when i actually go to the track ill compare with and without rear sway bar.

·
Administrator
8,398 Posts
I've driven TRD big ass bar cars w/Tein's and my car with Whiteline sways and noticed no difference. Both are fairly heavy duty.

Matt

·
Registered
319 Posts
Body roll is rarely the cause of "tire lift". In almost every case of tire lift I've ever seen, it is caused by an overly stiff suspension, with very heavy springs and stiff sway bars. So the suspension cannot keep the tire on the surface but allows it to lift. An optimally soft suspension will actually maximize traction and tire-to-road contact....like the new KW/Robispec coilovers I just put on my Supra. I'm on stock sways BTW and since mine is not a hardcore racecar I have no interest in stiffer sways. The KW/Robispec spring rates are FAR lower than what I had with my previous Tein HA's (at least 30% lower) but the car handles WAY better, and is actually more comfortable on the street, almost a "plush" ride now. But as mentioned above, it is all about a balanced system and not just throwing one component at the problem.
I knew someone who has knowledge would speak up. As Nick says get a balanced system not just some thrown together stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts