Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some advise regarding clutches.
I am in need of a new clutch and can't decide on a TRD or an ACT or RPS Stage II Clutch. I can't find any info on the TRD but am assuming since it is made by Toyota it has to be better. Any opinions on this matter would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Just because it is made by Toyota doesn't necessarily mean it is better. In a lot of cases it is, but when it says TRD on it, they are usually charging too much for it.

What kind of power do you want the clutch to hold? What kind of driving will you do? How long will you need the clutch to last? Are you wanting to replace or resurface the flywheel? How stiff of a clutch woudl you be willing to drive?

How much do they want for the TRD clutch? What is it's power output?

I know you can't find the TRD answers, but all these questions are things I would suggest you asking yourself before just deciding on a name because you think it's better. Weigh all your options and determine what you need first.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
TRD is the RPS stage II clutch, TRD just rebadged it and sells it as their own. RPS II and ACT street are very similar in design. High pressure PP, organic disc - buy whichever you can find cheaper. Very streetable, drives similar to stock. You may have a sore or tight leg for a day or two but after that you'll never notice the extra pushing requirement.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info
Have you heard anything about the spec clutches? They cost alot less but seem to be made out of the same stuff and also look to be stronger

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about SPEC, however I have yet to use them or see one in person so I couldn't say one way or another how good they actually are.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
:stupid:

I'll have ran both R154 AND W58 stg3 clutch by the new year. So far, the W58 version has been great!

you < SPEC

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
The clutch offered by SP Engineering for the 7MGTE is also an excellent one!

I believe they only offer one stage, but it's sprung hub, good up to crank 600HP.

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
I have a TRD clutch right now, it hold great and hasnt slipped yet. I am only at 300 rwhp. From the research that I found before buying this clutch, is that it can hold about 400 ft lbs. I am installing a full TO4E in a few weeks so I will see how much power it can hold. The pedal is a little stiffer than stock , but its not bad at all. I am very happy with it so far.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
FYI I've been running the ACT street for almost 2 years now, anywhere from 15-20psi. I'm probably in the 370rwhp range, clutch is holding great still.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One more Question
Should I go with the spec stage 1 or stage 2? I have about 300 hp at the wheel and am planning on adding a new turbo and intercooler

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
You mean the Greddy TD06? That's the Greddy turbo for our car.

I have had nothing but positive responses from all of my customers that I have sold SPEC clutches to. They all love them and have great things to say about them. For anyone wanting to make any decent amount of power, I always recommend the Stage 3. The pedal feel is near stock and it holds massive amounts of torque. Better to buy a clutch that will EASILY hold the power as opposed to buying one that is a bit cheaper that will barely do what you want it to. Just my opinion and experiences w/ selling and driving that clutch :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts