Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
makes me wonder why i can't anodize "trd" on my exhaust and print out the same paperwork

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just emailed TRD and asked if i can get a document stating it is 50 states legal. So ill keep u all update.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
MyKarIsVicious said:
makes me wonder why i can't anodize "trd" on my exhaust and print out the same paperwork

You cant anodize it, since it's not aluminum... Thats why.

·
Undefinable
968 Posts
I don't really see how any exhaust manufacturer can make that claim. Virginia is so broke-dick they have made any non-stock part on your car illegal. So here... any exhaust that didn't come on the car when it left the factory is illegal. The really amazing part is that a Saleen Mustang comes with a Borla exhaust, but if you put an identical Borla exhaust on a Mustang you bought... it's illegal.

·
On 2 wheels
750 Posts
Ckanderson said:
You cant anodize it, since it's not aluminum... Thats why.
Well you don't have to "anodize" it on there but find some way to get TRD on the exhaust. Most cops won't know the difference between exhausts so I would think that this is a good idea. Unless there are pictures of the TRD exhaust on the forms they fax you.... then your screwed :)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay people... I just got a fax from TRD which states that TRD Exhaust system is legal within the state of california. PM me if youre interested in a PDF version.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
TexasPancake said:
Okay people... I just got a fax from TRD which states that TRD Exhaust system is legal within the state of california. PM me if youre interested in a PDF version.
Hey bro,

I just got a modified exhaust ticket, I have TRD gen II exhaust.

Can you please e-mail me the PDF version of the paper work from TRD?

[email protected]

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
You can try this showing this paperwork and see what happens. This is not a "get out of jail card" The exhaust was metered and found to be below the noise cut-point. If you are in a corridor of buildings or a alley and the cop feels it's excessively loud, you will risk getting a citation. It is more trouble than it's worth IMHO.

·
I Solve Problems
4,348 Posts
Save your breathe, this 50 state legal stuff is pure bs. It is carb legal, that doesn't mean its legal. In New York State as well as a few others it is illegal to change or modify a stock exhaust, no matter how loud or quiet it is. All that is a way they try to lue you into buying their product. They are not lieing, but they are not completely telling the truth.

·
'95 TT
668 Posts
Well technically, TRD exhausts could be "factory installed options" could they not? That would be my reasoning for buying a TRD exhaust. It would essentially be OEM equipment and doesn't matter how loud or quiet it is.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just got out of my exhaust ticket I received from a state trooper in Richmond, VA, for being excessively loud. You can go to www.sema.org to look up information on the latest laws that are passing in each state to help out car enthusiast. Basically, I showed the judge that a bill had been introduced to Virginia legislation in July. The Bill stated, as long as the exhaust is not louder than 95 decibels than it's not considered to be excessively loud. My dad had a decibel meter we tested my car and it was 86 decibels well under 95 decibels. Judge dismissed the charge. For everyone that does not have the TRD 50 state legal certificate you can definetly get out of excessively loud exhaust tickets.
Thats all I got... I am out!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Guys check out the CA category and the So Cal category. There has been an extensive discussion on this. I have gotten out of 11 modified exhaust and emissions tickets. I am not going thru the whole explanation process again. Go into the CA categories and read the threads, these threads are faily recent, in the last month or two.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts