Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, it's finally installed. For those of you guys looking for what I'd consider a quiet exhaust, this seems to be a great choice:
It's made of 100% SS.
Oval can - so it sits a bit higher as compared to round mufflers.
Very quiet, unless I'm partially deaf.

Complaints:
First, the 3" piping rides too low to my liking. Every gas station entrance, underground parking, etc., leave their mark on the pipes and on my heart. I'm glad it's SS.

Second, the exhaust is hanging on one rubber bushing (mid section) and two rubber rings (tip end). This setup doesn't restrain the 30lb ex. (nor the RT "DP"/cat combo, which has a flex part and weighs around 15lb) well enough and it shakes quite a bit when flying over speed bumps or pot holes. I plan on adding self made restraints.

BTW, I got the RT HiFlow cat & pipe from www.horsepowerfreaks.com for a great price, and one couldn't ask for better service than that rendered by Chris. I practically "flooded" him with emails asking tons of questions and that guy just shot'em back as fast as he got'em.
Thanks, Chris.
Got the TRD ex. from Carson Toyota in SoCal (wanted to save on shipping) for a bargain price. Talk to Steve Ganz, parts manager. He owns a 93.5 Supra and is very helpful.

Those who consider this TRD ex., feel free to ask questions on this board or via email.

Thanks to all who answered my questions and helped me when I was looking for an ex.
If you happen to see me pass by grinning, well, now you know why... :D :D :D

:) :) :) :) :)

·
Super Moderator
46,550 Posts
Mine hangs fine {no pun intended}.The TRD exhaust GEN2 doesnt hang any lower than the original exhaust.I have a RMM down pipe and the fit is real tight to the floor boards.I think the problem you have is in your down pipe/cat setup.I also have no rattles over speed bumps/curbs etc..

For what it's worth I very happy with it.The sound is incredible.

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Curt,

Mine hangs fine too. It's the exhaust that's posing some challenges...:wink:
I wish the pipe was somehow installed on top of the car instead of underneath...:doh:
would have been so much easier to access & asses.
I agree with your assessment that the DP/cat is the cause of both, the pipe sitting low and the rattling. It seems that the TRD exhaust with the single arm support at mid section is not a good match with the RT HiFlow cat which has this flex piece. I plan on adding a second, mid section, arm that will enable the exhaust to be supported like the stock one, on both rubber bushings. That should eliminate the twisting movements of the whole pipe.
Once modified that way, I'd expect that having the flex cat joint would turn advantages as it will "absorb" the twisting moment generated by the engine, thus reducing the load off the manifold, etc.
Sound wise, well, I barely hear it. I could have easily tolerated a louder one. But no complaints as I prefer to hear the turbos' sucking sound over a loud exhaust.
I expect that once I have added the second arm per above that I'll be VERY happy with both the exhaust & the RT combo.
Thx again for your input, Curt. BTW, my head is still reeling from the pics that you emailed me ... your Supra, of course...

Jay 70%:smile: 30%:sad:

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
hey curt could you send some pics with the trd exhaust my way?

[email protected]

thanks =)

·
Supra Addict Since 1984
362 Posts
Hello Jay -

I've had both versions of the TRD exhaust. The former version did not hang as low because it was mandrel bent to hug the chassis. I liked the engraved TRD logo more than the black etched logo on my new TRD. The new TRD exhaust seems a bit louder than the older style, probably because it is essentially a straight pipe.

Like you, I prefer the look of the polished can and the angled tail pipe. I had to hike up my TEIN's about 3/8 inch with the new TRD exhaust but since then I haven't touched any speedbumps. On another note, having dealt with downpipes on quite a few Supras, I am not convinced that a flex joint absorbs any engine vibration at all. I think it's there more for ease of conforming to the desired shape, and in many cases the flex section has a smaller diameter which may slightly constrict flow.

Sounds like you have a nice setup. Good luck with your future mods!

John
www.utahracing.com/supras/john.html

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John,

"I am not convinced that a flex joint absorbs any engine vibration at all."
Well, isn't it a shame that RT doesn't post hard data on their site, so that we wouldn't have to be guessing? Do you think it's too much to expect? :mad:
BTW, not only is the dia at the flex smaller than the rest of the piping, but it's also a VERY rough surface and, my gut tells me that it causes some restrictions and likely adds some to vibrations as the flow is probably non-laminar (practically means -
turbulent.
Wanted to have a HiFlow cat with metal substrate so I decided to go the RT route. The flex, I thought, was adding more benefits than negative effects.
I know that, once I raise the pipe and eliminate the twisting movements, I'll be one happy dude.

Thanks for your comments.

Jay :cool:

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I think the sound of the exhuast is very cool but I wish it was a little louder. Maybe that won't be a problem after getting my straight down-pipe. :D

Fit and finish are excellent, and after 2 years, I don't have any rattles or buzzes, which is more than I can say for some Supra exhausts.

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BLITZSUPRA

I bet your DP/cat doesn't have the flex piece that is found on RT HiFlow cat. I'm now positive that this is the cause of the low-riding pipe.
Well, soon this will be taken care of :D

And then :D :D :D :D :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts