Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Undefinable
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have searched, but nothing regarding these kits came back. Someone over at UK supra site mentioned these so I am thinking they are not available in the US.

----->TRD Kit<-----

I looked at the TRD USA Site, and even clicked on the TRD Japan link at the bottom but all that comes back is TRD pads.

I love the idea of monoblock calipers, but how hard is it to buy them? Anyone have experience with them? As much as I would love some 14" Brembos, keeping the stock size brakes will allow me to use the OEM wheels for the track. I do want two-piece, aluminum hat rotors to save weight and improve feel, but lighter, better calipers would be great too.

Are these even TRD products, or does someone else build them for TRD?

Thanks,
Kev

·
Supralicious
872 Posts
That's a first. Never seen those. They look nice, and their black. Maybe Curt or Jeff can chime in about their availability and price. Curt? Jeff?

·
Registered
304 Posts
MKIV_Aspirant said:
They appear to be doing a group buy. From what they said, the brakes are UK/JP spec.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=38981&page=1&pp=15

What do you mean UK/JP spec?

UK/US are the same and JP spec are smaller, looking at the size on the website which is 323mm I would say these are UK/US spec as they also specify that they will only fit under standard 17" rims.

:naughty:

·
Undefinable
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wez said:
What do you mean UK/JP spec?

UK/US are the same and JP spec are smaller, looking at the size on the website which is 323mm I would say these are UK/US spec as they also specify that they will only fit under standard 17" rims.

:naughty:
Well, I keep seeing the term UK Spec on that site. Since the Euro cars got the active front spoiler, the hood scoop, and share the RHD setup I thought maybe they got unique brakes. :dunno:

I want to use my 17" stockers for the track, so improving the stock brakes with a monoblock caliper (and two piece rotors) seems like a huge win. :D

·
Wholesome creamy goodness
656 Posts
Those calipers look very similar to the stock 2003-on 4Runner front 4 Piston Calipers...wonder if they are the same thing and if they are a direct bolt on?? Also, I know that the Lexus LS430 front calipers are aluminum 4 piston monoblock calipers, but they have slightly less pad surface area compared to the stock Supra TT calipers...Darshana S...

G

·
Wow, I've never seen anything like those kinds of brakes. I would like to know more about it, if anyone gets anymore info P/M me :D

-Dino

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would certainly be interested. Does any one know what they weigh?

·
Premium Member
46,548 Posts
That kit is for the NA models, UK, and Jap spec Supra's with the 2 pot calipers. The USA TT ones[4 pot] are similar to the design of the this kit's calipers[4 pot].

This coverts it to the 4 pot caliper design. You'll need 17" oem wheels or 17" or larger aftermarket wheels.
You'll also need STOCK TT rotors{front}.
You'll also need 47031-ja800 brake line
They recomend TRD rear pads with this conversion.

TRD brake parts for TT are Front Rotors and Pads only. They already have the 4 pot calipers.

Here is the description from that link I had copied and pasted :

SUPRA JZA80(OE 17" model) *

All year 47700-JS600 F 298,000

(1)Front monoblock aluminum oncoming 4-pod enlarged caliper[2]
(2)Front brake pad set**
(3)Braket bolt attachment parts*** 

*Aluminum wheel (applied to 17, 18 inch enlarged caliper) is required . (Can't use OE wheel except Supra (JZA80 OE 17 inch model))
**:We recommend to use TRD Brake Pad for rear brake pad.
***:For Supra, front/rear brake disc, stainless mesh hose, rear brak pad and etc. are not included in kit.
When installing to Supra, disc brake line (part No.: 47031-JA800) is required separately.
However, OE front/rear brake discs can be re-used.
We recommned to use TRD Brake Pad(Part No.: 04492-JA830) for rear brake pad

YOU MUST READ WHAT YOUR LOOKING AT!

·
Undefinable
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Curt, Thanks for the info. I am not interested in the kit... just the calipers. Are the stock US TT calipers monoblock? I read the link to mean our stock 4 pot calipers were what they call the "separate" type (two pieces put together). I am looking separately for stock size two-piece rotors w/ an aluminum hat.

Thanks,
Kev

·
Undefinable
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. I have been looking at the Baer Eradispeed+ which are OEM size, but with the aluminum hat. They have been promising one for our cars for a while now... I'm hoping they come through. I'd get them with out any slotting or drilling (folks at corner-carvers.com have done this).

I appreciate it, but I'm not much of a Powerslot fan... actually, not a fan of any slotted or drilled rotor as it weakens the rotor and reduces braking performance. Since I do HPDEs and autoX at least monthly I can't justify buying blingy rotors.

Now... if only someone made monoblock rear calipers that matched the TRD front ones... **cough**Dusty**cough** :D

G

·
Steve Theodore said:
Wow...I want to know a LOT more about these.
Steve,
You can get Stoptech to make the calipers and slap TRD on it. They make the calipers for some of the TRD applications though not the pictured.

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
What is funny about this is that I just saw a set yesterday that were exactly as you described. It was my first time seeing a set of StopTechs "rebranded", but they looked great. :)

Steve T.

JimGothard said:
Steve,
You can get Stoptech to make the calipers and slap TRD on it. They make the calipers for some of the TRD applications though not the pictured.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts