Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Space for sale
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, well i am going to install my TRD hood pretty soon. I noticed that some people have a duct to trap the rain water and drain it, however, mine did not come with it.

What do you guys do when it rains? Is it ok if moderate rain falls through the vents? I know the air filter is there - could it possibly rain hard enough to flood it?

Thanks!

Jason Hu

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
I have the TRD only because i never ever drive it in the rain. I would not own this hood if i drove it in the rain, the road dirt will make the motor dirty as hell, and those vents are LARGE and lots of water gets in there.

I had some custom made vent covers (painted to match the car) and the water STILL gets in there, but its not as bad as having nothing there.

·
Space for sale
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MK4LIFE said:
I have the TRD only because i never ever drive it in the rain. I would not own this hood if i drove it in the rain, the road dirt will make the motor dirty as hell, and those vents are LARGE and lots of water gets in there.

I had some custom made vent covers (painted to match the car) and the water STILL gets in there, but its not as bad as having nothing there.
Where could i find one of those ducts so i can just slap it on when it gets nasty?

I do plan on driving in the rain ;-)

chnco said:
Get one of those AEM things.
What are the AEM things?

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
Lintrix said:
Where could i find one of those ducts so i can just slap it on when it gets nasty?

I do plan on driving in the rain ;-)

What are the AEM things?

you cannot buy those ducts, thats why i had mine custom made for the hood. The ducts that come with the TRD knockoff hoods are borderline cardboard, hence they dont do anything.

honestly i wouldnt use the TRD hood in you are playing to drive in the rain. I dont know what damage it could do to the motor if any getting it all wet, but it will make it very dirty all the time. Hell mine gets dirty just from road dust, let alone water.

·
Space for sale
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A forum member just provided me with a good idea so that water does not get in my intake.

I should get an enclosure for the filter.

I'll give the hood a try, heck, i got it already..

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
When it rains, I get wet.
My supra's filter is in the stock air-box, so I don't worry about getting a wet filter.

I think chnco is talking about the AEM Bypass Valve for your intake.

·
11,221 Posts
AEM Air Bypass Valve

It sounds like a good idea. I just wonder if there's enough room to install it between the turbo inlet and the air filter. I guess this was more intended to NA cars.

AEM’s patented air bypass valve virtually eliminates the chance of hydro-lock in the event the filter of your AEM Cold Air induction system becomes submerged in water. The valve installs along the upper portion of the inlet pipe and shuts down induction at the filter when it becomes submerged, rerouting air through its external diaphragm to keep water out and air flowing in. Patent # 6,394,128

·
Registered
252 Posts
Try cutting a rubber mat into the vent shapes and lay it on top of the mesh. And make sure you make the rubber vent a little bit bigger so water doesn't get into the engine.

·
Space for sale
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info & suggestions.

A buddy of mine got a hold of the plastic "drainer" piece, i hope it works.. if not i will have to either cover up the vents when it is raining or build an enclosure around the filter...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts