Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6spd
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i heard a few mixed reviews that the TRD LSD unit is with carbon disks instead of metallic?

i'd appreciate if anyone can clarify this

thanks,
jason

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6spd
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks carchitect, i've been looking at that diff for a while now and wanted to try it. know anyone that has put it in the 6spd supra?

would you know what all i would need besides this unit? pretty sure it's just like the TRD LSD unit, and you have to buy the ring and pinion, rebuilt parts. just curious if any special parts or fabrication is needed to run this.

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
Well, if your ring and pinion gears aren't worn out you won't need to purchase new ones. You will need to purchase a pair of carrier bearings, a tube of red toyota FIPG and a couple of crush sleeves, and a quart ATS lsd gear oil. You will need to find someone to install the unit for you or so it yourself. The install is pretty simple for someone who knows how to setup rear ends. But if you don't then don't chance it. A lot of damage can be done if not setup properly.

-Joe

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
Carbon discs have better COF than metal but, more importantly, they are more consistent when they warm up compared to metal. The metal discs are also more of an on-off switch. The carbon discs also helpful when you enter a corner at the limit and are more forgiving during engagement. They tend to engage smoother so as to prevent the behavioural change of the suspension and help reduce the likeness of the vehicle loosing control. This isusually what is desirable for road racing. Drifting involves a rather sudden lockup and for this reason they offer another LSD called the Deftforce.

The carbon is not the same as the tilton or RPS. ATS uses a very high temp and pressure manufacturing method to extract the most resin to strenghten and lighten the carbon products. This process is done in multiple stages and the end result will make the assembly about 20% smaller and denser than before the process. The dics will also have a rather random pattern then the customary carbon weave we are all used to seeing. But not to worry. The carbon gets its characteristics from the molecular bonding also known as graphite linking.

-Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts