Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
The stock torsen is always sending more power to one wheel or the other.

A TRD LSD can essentially "lock" both wheels to be even.

A TRD LSD costs $950.

You don't see them used much, as $950 can buy alot of better things to help your car go faster, if that is what you are after.

G

·
0 Posts
I'm pretty sure Jay Marks Toyota sells them for around that price. Also Toysport had them listed on their web page at around that price under specials or something.

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Don't forget that the TRD LSD will essential "help" keep you from hitting the wall a bit...I do believe.

Instead of one tire spinning more, thus pulling you to one side....both would spin...kinda keeping you straight....or so i hear.

Jay

·
Senior
1,475 Posts
You mean that for all the ballyhoo, the old fashion clutch plate unit works better?:( Was the Torsen ever offered on the n/a? Gee...:eek:

S

·
0 Posts
Torsen is on a few N/As.

The only drawback to the TRD LSD is that it may lock going around a corner. It's more suited for straight drag use, not road race.

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
What do you mean it will lock possibly going around say a highspeed corner or apex? Willnt it / i thought since both wheels are spiining even it will just make the car more prone to driftin
or will the rear just toally lock up and your basically screwed? IIs this lock up or a 1/10th of a second or is it permant exaplin please

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
SoCalSupras said:
The stock torsen is always sending more power to one wheel or the other.

A TRD LSD can essentially "lock" both wheels to be even.

A TRD LSD costs $950.

You don't see them used much, as $950 can buy alot of better things to help your car go faster, if that is what you are after.
I do not think this is correct. A torsen will apply a torque split to the drive wheels. If the torque split exceeds the Torsen's maximum bias ratio, the torsen will lock up, trasnfering all power to the most loaded wheel. I think Kent Rafferty had this problem in low speed autocrosses, and drag racers have this problem running slicks. AFAIK the torsen is preffered in road racing.

·
Registered
763 Posts
greensoup2 said:
I'm pretty sure Jay Marks Toyota sells them for around that price. Also Toysport had them listed on their web page at around that price under specials or something.
That is incorrect. I spoke with Jeff Watson about the TRD LSD unit last week and he gave me a price of $850. There are also some extra misc. parts that will be required so you can count on it costing closer to $1000 without labor. Labor could run you another $500 if you pay a competent shop.

-pete

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Grant said:

I do not think this is correct. A torsen will apply a torque split to the drive wheels. If the torque split exceeds the Torsen's maximum bias ratio, the torsen will lock up, trasnfering all power to the most loaded wheel. I think Kent Rafferty had this problem in low speed autocrosses, and drag racers have this problem running slicks. AFAIK the torsen is preffered in road racing.
I believe that you are correct, Grant.
http://www.howstuffworks.com/differential8.htm

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
Then id i was going to road/trakc race and like drifitng. what differntial should i get . i dont want to have the rear rlock up and say make me crash but i want one that will just be for roadracing drifitn. and the occansional drag racing. what shouldi get . the stock n/a diff. is not even close to up to par for my applications.
my stock diff isnt not lsd / give me any help i need to change it out soon Thanks Brett

i have a mkiv supra by the way.

G

·
0 Posts
I just looked on the Toysport site and its listed in their Kazuma parts specials at $715. Maybe its old. Also someone else posted they were selling it at ~$739. Then again maybe these are old or incomplete prices because you need other additional parts.

·
Registered
763 Posts
TRD had a price increase since those prices were posted.

-pete

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
lol ok then so what diff. lisd should i buy for roadtrack racing and occansionally drag racing. i a mlooking for one that will not lock .i want it for drifitng and track racing. any one?

if not that then what unit have you's put in your car and what are your thoughts towards them? Thanks

J

·
0 Posts
LSDs have different lockup %s... check around to shops and webpages to see whats recommended.

www.quaifeamerica.com

has really good diffs guaranteed unbreakable.

Check them out.

Later,
Josh

1 - 20 of 26 Posts