Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What Does the TRD LSD (Limited Slip Differential)do different from the stock LSD? also what are the benefits & drawbacks, etc.

thanks

-AL

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Ranger498 said:
What Does the TRD LSD (Limited Slip Differential)do different from the stock LSD? also what are the benefits & drawbacks, etc.

thanks

-AL
Someone correct me if im wrong but I belive that your reffering to the stock diff.
That is a torson which uses helical gears and torque to lock the tires.
The downside is that if you lift a wheel off the ground it acts like an open diff leaving you with no traction.
The TRD is a clutchpack style. Some of these are noisy. Not sure about the TRD but my Kaaz was nasty.
These are power sensitive and once enough static pressure or power is applied it locks together.

·
Banned
378 Posts
TRD is 1.5way, which means it only locks on acceleration. It is the BEST choice for our street cars, as it makes the car run straight as an arrow. It is simpler than stock diff, but way superior on locking ability.

2-way LSDs (KAAZ, ATS, CUSCO) are too much, and they peg-hop around corners in traffic since they lock on deceleration too...should only be used for racing.

·
Tuning focused...
561 Posts
Trd are not noisy with castrol syntec 75w 90 or royal purple gear max, or red line with friction modifier.

But it is indeed noisy with the red line heavy shock proof oil

·
Registered
483 Posts
the 2 ways or a spool or if your ass hole former mechanic sells you a stock rear with welded spider gears will kill your Tilton on the street. TRD 1.5 is the way to go

·
Registered
60 Posts
Stringer Bell said:
TRD is 1.5way, which means it only locks on acceleration. It is the BEST choice for our street cars, as it makes the car run straight as an arrow. It is simpler than stock diff, but way superior on locking ability.

2-way LSDs (KAAZ, ATS, CUSCO) are too much, and they peg-hop around corners in traffic since they lock on deceleration too...should only be used for racing.

Whats peg-hop?? For some reason when I read that I imagined a pirate with a wooden leg hoping around a corner.. :nervous: long day at work

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
chidoks said:
i had the ats 2 way in my sc300.. it was not pretty
Metal ? Carbon ?

2-way is good for hard driving on the track/circuit (Drag/Drift)

Metal = Noisy

Carbon = Noiseless

Fluid: ATS Fluid Only

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
If you change to the TRD Diff, would you also change your gears? I know the autos have a 3.77 or 3.76 (?) gear set, but I've heard you can get 4.07 (or there abouts) 0r a 3.92 or 4.27 (? these are approximate since I don't remember the exact numbers). I know the higher gear ratios will help you low end, but does it impact the overdrive or third gear very much? I'm thinking of regular highway driving and the impact on gas mileage.

Also, I have heard that with the TRD you will have more torque then with the stock diff. Why is that, and is that correct?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Redline shock proof oil (smurf nut) is too thing for an LSD
you should run a 85W140NS with frictions modifier

ATS carbon is bank but i can get those easily IMHO not woth the money

TRD LSD's are nice but they are not made by Toyota, they are made by H.H.I.C. IIRC
I can get those a lot cheaper than toyota, only diffrence is they dont come in a TRD box

There is a big diffrence between 1 way, 1.5 way , and 2 way
the site i would refrence to is down right now :(

Max

G

·
TRD diff are pretty easy to drive and control. i use royal purple max gear oil. it has the friction modifier already in the oil so its all set good to go. ive had my trd rear diff in my car for 1 year with no problems. make sure you blue locktite your axles and drive shaft bolts to prevent them from backing out.

·
6 speed
1,318 Posts
ILLEGAL_GARAGE said:

TRD LSD's are nice but they are not made by Toyota, they are made by H.H.I.C. IIRC
I can get those a lot cheaper than toyota, only diffrence is they dont come in a TRD box

Max
why would you use the redline NS gear oil? the 'NS' means the oil is without the friction modifier...75w90 is fine for the TRD LSD. redline shockproof heavy is not too thin..it is really thick..and has no friction modifier. i use Royal Purple 75w90. trd lsd's are made by hitachi.

·
Registered
76 Posts
ILLEGAL_GARAGE said:

Max
Who is H.H.I.C.?

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
Someone correct me if im wrong but I belive that your reffering to the stock diff.
That is a torson which uses helical gears and torque to lock the tires.
The downside is that if you lift a wheel off the ground it acts like an open diff leaving you with no traction.
The TRD is a clutchpack style. Some of these are noisy. Not sure about the TRD but my Kaaz was nasty.
These are power sensitive and once enough static pressure or power is applied it locks together.
How nasty was the Kaaz sound? did it sound like rocks shaking in a tin can that's super loud?

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
How nasty was the Kaaz sound? did it sound like rocks shaking in a tin can that's super loud?
That is what it sounded like in a nutshell. Kind of like a bad CV joint on a front wheel drive car.
Did you get one ?

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
yea, i am currently using amsoil 752-90 with Amsoil friction modifier and it was fine until a month ago. now it's way too loud. So i'm in the garage swapping out the oil to Redline.

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
yea, i am currently using amsoil 752-90 with Amsoil friction modifier and it was fine until a month ago. now it's way too loud. So i'm in the garage swapping out the oil to Redline.
I dont know alot about the amsoil products. I used the oil kaaz specified and that made it work better and a little quieter 80W/90 GL-5.

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
1 - 20 of 68 Posts