Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. Three years into owning my MK4 i decided to get the carbon fiber TRD replica wing. But getting the right one took some time and effort. Here is my experience.

1st stop: http://rhys-millen-racing.myshopify.../rmm-mkiv-supra-wing-with-carbon-fiber-center
Ordering was easy, but very limited communication and 8 weeks of waiting was not. What arrived was very disappointing:
IMG_2243.JPG IMG_2244.JPG IMG_2245.JPG IMG_2247.JPG
Packaging was very good, but quality was lacking. First, there were endless air bubbles trapped under the clear coat, very noticeable. Second, multiple dimples and uneven carbon weaving. Third, post sides were in need of serious finishing work as rough casting marks were everywhere.
Wing was Returned.

2nd wing was ordered at MVP: http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/mvp-m...ear-wing-for-199398-toyota-supra/g-80765.aspx
Ordering was easy and communication was good as Dusty is a contributing member and vendor here. Based on my 1st experience, i inquired for the wing to be inspected before shipping. Reply was: "You won't find anything bad about Shine on SF because there's nothing bad to be said."
Delivery was very fast and what arrived was this and started that (Post # 161+): http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...iler-to-be-Replicated!!-MVP-Motorsports/page7
few pics:
IMG_2285.JPG IMG_2289.JPG IMG_2292.JPG IMG_2291.JPG IMG_2296.JPG
Wing was returned.
Thanks to Ken at Shine for stepping in.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Side posts went off to a local body shop for paint only as zero finishing work was required.
I installed a Lamin-X layer over the main blade for added protection:

IMG_2377.JPG IMG_2399.JPG

Side posts came back nicely done and all came together without issues.

IMG_2418.JPG IMG_2419.JPG IMG_2428.JPG IMG_2438.JPG IMG_2545.JPG IMG_2548.JPG IMG_2550.JPG IMG_2470.JPG

I believe this wing swap enhances the Supra and continues to receive compliments from onlookers. If you are on the fence about getting the wing and have questions, feel free to ask.
Thanks for looking,
Monty.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much was it and how long did shipping take?
Shipped to NY, PayPal shows: $550GBP = $730USD. Keep in mind this is FULL Carbon Fiber. So Pricing is very good.

Order was placed July 28th, received it August 5th.

·
Super Moderator
10,500 Posts
You know, I'm not really a carbon fiber guy, but that Whifbitz wing is the best I've ever seen. As I've said before, I'm an OEM wing guy but, if I was going to with this style, that Whifbitz would be the one. Fitment is flawless. Those side posts look so good before (and after) paint. Were you tempted to leave them alone?

The car looks BAD ASS, btw. Many thanks for this review.

Ken.

·
JZA80
3,121 Posts
Thanks for the review Monty. That Whifbitz variant looks spot on.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad I can contribute. This a high quality piece and i am very happy with the way it turned out. Thank you Gentlemen.
Ken, as much as i like the quality, the side posts left in carbon were too much contrast on the white car IMO. :)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Thank you for sharing! I've had my eye on a TRD style wing for a while now but ever since I saw a local guy's fiberglass version I've been too scared to pull the trigger on one. In his case the fitment is bad, the wing is cracking and it's so heavy his hatch struts can't support the additional weight so the hatch will no longer stay open. I wanted a full CF one but I was concerned if fitment wasn't perfect there would be zero you could do about it. It's great to see how well the Whifbitz fits! They have some really nice stuff, I've been eyeing there DL rear diffuser for a while. Might have to pull the trigger on a couple of things!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thank you Monty for posting, I also been following the MVP wing and was also disappointed to see how their version turned out. Reading the thread, it was also hard to get a refund from them. I recently ordered some rear bumper pods and license plate backing in carbon fiber from ProSpec in Australia. They also have the TRD style wing in carbon, I wonder if anyone here purchased from ProSpec Imports before.

·
No Ego or Arrogance!!!!!!
744 Posts
SMTSPCL

Thanks for the review, as I been contemplating in buying me replica TRD wing and I been afraid of the fitments issues, just email Whifbitz. Thanks again

·
Registered
87 Posts
Slick! How is your view out the back window? Does the wing impede it at all? I've been contemplating swapping out my stock wing but this is one of my concerns.

·
Smith & Wesson Member
600 Posts
Slick! How is your view out the back window? Does the wing impede it at all? I've been contemplating swapping out my stock wing but this is one of my concerns.
No, similar to the oem wing

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,462 Posts
Made the plunge and went with the Whifbitz half-carbon offering. The posts are going to be fiberglass. I look forward to receiving it. This only comes in a twill weave, not a plain weave.. :(

~$580 USD shipped.

Do these use the factory spoiler bases or protectors? Reference photo illustrations #2 and #3 here: http://onlineparts.toyotasouthatlanta.com/oe-toyota/7687414061

·
Registered
241 Posts
The wing looks great. I ordered RMM wing from Titan Motorsports about 6 months ago it was there last one in stock at the time. My wing did not have any bubbles. I still have it laying around new in box as my new Supra has an actual TRD wing on it. I am willing to sell my new RMM wing if anyone is interested.

·
Super Moderator
10,500 Posts
The wing looks great. I ordered RMM wing from Titan Motorsports about 6 months ago it was there last one in stock at the time. My wing did not have any bubbles. I still have it laying around new in box as my new Supra has an actual TRD wing on it. I am willing to sell my new RMM wing if anyone is interested.
supra2jzgte,

This is a review thread, not a for sale thread. Please start a for sale thread once you meet forum requirements if you are serious about selling. Thanks.

Ken.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With this wing, rear view IMPROVED! Stock wing obstructs the sides, this one is wider and more square, less viewing obstructions.

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,462 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Factory are too small. I made my own spoiler gasket out of rubber and self adhering suede on both sides.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts