Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
TRD steering wheel *installed w/pics*

i just bought a TRD steering wheel and the adapter plug for it as well. im looking at the airbag setup and the adapter now and maybe im just F-ing retarded but the plugs dont seem to match up. can anyone quickly tell me how to instlal it or is there a write-up somewhere on how to do it? also, how hard is it to remove the stock steering wheel and what all is needed?

thanks in advance

**installed with pics beow**

·
4 T's and an X
2,126 Posts
I just changed out mine and I didnt need the adapter plug. It plugged right into my harness. It was so easy to change it out too.

I dont have cruise control but I dont use it anyways. Just 2 torx screws and a 19mm nut (I think). Dont remove the spiral cable and make sure your wheels are straight. Piece of cake. Good luck

·
Banned
1,280 Posts
don't bother. i believe the trd wheel's air bag was confirmed not to work, saw it on like 4 sites a while back... guess that'd explain why mine never went off when i hit a wall at 70 mph :ugh2: (didnt have a passenger air bag so really no way to tell because the previous owner installed the cd player with the battery in so the air bag light was already on and the car was totalled so...)

·
Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TT Tercel said:
I just changed out mine and I didnt need the adapter plug. It plugged right into my harness. It was so easy to change it out too.

I dont have cruise control but I dont use it anyways. Just 2 torx screws and a 19mm nut (I think). Dont remove the spiral cable and make sure your wheels are straight. Piece of cake. Good luck
i think its a direct plug in for 98 supras only...anyways, i wanna plug it in so my horn will work atleast...and i didnt know that the airbag wouldnt work.. :-( thanks for the write-up

·
Banned
1,280 Posts
x95SupraNAx said:
i think its a direct plug in for 98 supras only...anyways, i wanna plug it in so my horn will work atleast...and i didnt know that the airbag wouldnt work.. :-( thanks for the write-up
i'm not positive because insurance never tested after i hit, but that with eading on a few sites thats ell them that it doesnt work, im serious doubting it. or maybe it's just some. not like someone is going to wreck a supra just to prove it, either way its a great steering wheel, and i put it on my new card regardless of if the airbag works or not. seatbelts are there for a reason.

·
Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
still cant figure out the damn plug....owell..ill take everything apart tonight and try to install it

·
Track Junkie
1,581 Posts
I believe TRD makes two two types of the steering wheels. one for 94-96 and another one for 97-98. If you got the one for 97-98 and your Supra is 94-96, the plug won't work and you will need to get a plug adaptor. Contact Curt and he should have more info.

·
4 T's and an X
2,126 Posts
I got mine from a guy in Japan. I didnt tell him what year car I had. Actually, he is on ebay selling these steering wheels new. Yea you wont know till you take of the airbag. And thats easy

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
HydroMatrix said:
don't bother. i believe the trd wheel's air bag was confirmed not to work, saw it on like 4 sites a while back... guess that'd explain why mine never went off when i hit a wall at 70 mph :ugh2: (didnt have a passenger air bag so really no way to tell because the previous owner installed the cd player with the battery in so the air bag light was already on and the car was totalled so...)
there have been pics posted of the TRD steering wheel with the air bag blown after an accident.. it does work.

as for your air bag light being on, it'll still work with the light being on, and if the light turns on on you there's a super super simple fix for it.

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
My TRD plugged right into my '95 Supra. If you're doing a TRD wheel just make sure that it doesn't just plug in and if you can't, use a squib connector. Those are they only two options that I'm aware of.

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
SupraTico said:
there have been pics posted of the TRD steering wheel with the air bag blown after an accident.. it does work.

as for your air bag light being on, it'll still work with the light being on, and if the light turns on on you there's a super super simple fix for it.
Just disconnect the battery for at least 30 seconds before you unplug the odometer/warning light harness or the steering wheel. If for some reason you can't then just use the reset found in the MKIV sight. It's hard the first time and once you get it figured out on the timing becomes quite simple and it's easier if you have someone inside the car to watch the light for you too.

·
Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
finally got it installed..it was super easy to do..only had to go out to buy the torx set. total of about 30min. job including time to hardware store and back.

huge improvement to overall look of interior

*quick shitty pics from the cell phone*

(and yes i know the tach needs to go...will remove it once its time to install the pillar pod)

it plugged directly into my stock harness on my 95 mkiv..did not even need the damn adapter plug that i bought.

so does anyone need a TRD steering wheel adapter plug or a stock steering wheel? :)

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I just got a TRD wheel from a guy in Hong Kong, and haven't tried putting it on my '96 yet. If I need that adapter, I will be sending you a PM.

·
Greddy T78
393 Posts
Looks Nice, also got mine installed about 1 month ago.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts