Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
46,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally.....here is a pic of the 98 TT dash.

Items installed:

TRD steering wheel {black/red stitching}cruise switch installed and working.{Thanks Steve T .HT junkie}

Air bag plug swap and working.{no error codes or lights}

On the "A" pillar ,Apexi 60mm EL series gauges{boost/EGT},Dual pod from PHR[thanks Jarrett}

On the main dash,H-R automotive Indiglo gauges,with cluster bezels painted silver.{bought direct}

Greddy A/F ratio gauge in clock location{bezel painted silver to match}-{Thanks RMM}

Under the radio left side HKS EVC-EZ and next to it the relocated "trac" switch.{Thanks PHR.}

On the dash left,HKS -TT,VPC,GCC.{Thanks PHR}

Pedals billet aluminum .{Thanks APG perf.}

B&M short throw shifter w/factory knob{Thanks Summitt}

Toyota RS3000 alarm system,floor mats.

P.S. the 03' TRD Matrix XRS 6spd.Has the TRD exhaust{+18hp} and the spring kit {1.5" drop}.
The intake pipe/air filter not out yet.

S

·
0 Posts
ELMTOYPARTS said:

Items installed:

TRD steering wheel {black/red stitching}cruise switch installed and working.

On the "A" pillar ,Apexi 60mm EL series gauges{boost/EGT}

On the main dash,H-R automotive Indiglo gauges,with cluster bezels painted silver.

Greddy A/F ratio gauge in clock location{bezel painted silver to match}

Under the radio left side HKS EVC-EZ and next to it the relocated "trac" switch.

On the dash left,HKS -TT,VPC,GCC.

Pedals billet aluminum .

P.S. the 03' TRD Matrix XRS 6spd.Has the TRD exhaust{+18hp} and the spring kit {1.5" drop}.

I want my dash to look like that ;) Great job!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Stupid question:

Does the airbag go away with the new TRD steering wheel?

ELMTOYPARTS said:

Items installed:

TRD steering wheel {black/red stitching}cruise switch installed and working.

On the "A" pillar ,Apexi 60mm EL series gauges{boost/EGT}

On the main dash,H-R automotive Indiglo gauges,with cluster bezels painted silver.

Greddy A/F ratio gauge in clock location{bezel painted silver to match}

Under the radio left side HKS EVC-EZ and next to it the relocated "trac" switch.

On the dash left,HKS -TT,VPC,GCC.

Pedals billet aluminum .

M

·
0 Posts
Silvino, we cannot confirm/deny that they actually work, but they are supposed to have ones in that plug into the harness and "work".

S

·
0 Posts
The TRD wheel looks almost the same as the 98 wheel.. what's the differences?

·
Super Moderator
46,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes the air bag is connected.I ran the SRS system thru the Toyota hand held Scan tool.I had no error codes at all,and no "AB" check light on dash after install.I didn't even have to reset anything.All was basicly plug and play except for a few minor modifications:smile:

·
Super Moderator
46,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
shervin said:
The TRD wheel looks almost the same as the 98 wheel.. what's the differences?
Besides the cool emblem on the hub,the wheel is a tad smaller in diamenter.Also the thickness is larger on the TRD rim.It has contoured "grips"at the 9 and 3 o'clock position.

The 98 had a preforated leather cover where as the TRD is smooth and with red stiching.

At a list price of almost 1500$$$$ for the 98 assembly,The TRD wheel is a bargan at $800 bucks.

{p.s. my 98 stock mint,perfect wheel w/ab is NOT for sale!}

·
Super Moderator
46,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Flavio said:
Do you have any close-up pics of the cruise control stalk on the TRD wheel?

Flavio

I"m going to the SEMA show this weekend.I"ll take some more close ups on this last roll of film I have and post early next week.

I'll take the air bag off for the internal pics.

Total time involved for conversion under 1 hr.The researce for the interface A FEW DAYS!

·
Super Moderator
46,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But what about how the rest looks??

How come hardly anyone has commented about the rest of the items I did?????

It's all air bag/TRD steering wheel questions???????

·
says
390 Posts
It all looks good :)

I like how you installed your electronics on the left side, that's how I'm doing mine.

Clean ass car, hold on to it.

·
Administrator
17,224 Posts
It all looks awesome Curt.

Help me out here though...your math is telling me I might need another black TRD steering wheel since the 1998 swap is so costly overall.

Anyway, I have obtained the following measurements:

1993-1997 stock MKIV steering wheel: 14.5 inch diameter
1998 stock MKIV steering wheel: 14 inch diameter

Are you telling me that the TRD steering wheel has a 13.5 inch diameter? Also, please elaborate on what made up the cruise control swap to the TRD wheel...this is of particular interest to me! Thanks very much. :)

·
Super Moderator
46,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Only for 98' you need to cut the air bag plug from stock air bag and splice onto the TRD wheel.{squib change for 98 only}

For the 93.5-97 the air bag plug is identical.

The cruise control plug is not affected ,98 reuse cruise switch.ON 93.5-97 Use the 98 cruise switch #84630-14130 L=$131.49 C=$92.49

To install the cruise switch.

A] Locate and dremel the identical square hole on the right side of the strg wheel housing.[the size of the felt square gasket 1.5"x1.5"]

B]Remove the cruise switch {2 screws] and the felt gasket for the hole.[off old wheel]

c] Hot glue the felt gasket to the opening of the hole you just cut.

D] Install the cruise switch by the top screw only,bottom one leave off.{no place to put it}

E] On the TRD air bag remove the white plastic cover that holds the plug in place.{don't need}

F] Install the stg wheel on car and tighten nut,plug in cruise control switch and ground wire for horn.

G] Plug in the air bag connector and install air bag{3screws}

H] The yellow air bag wire has enough slack so that you can move it off to the upper left side of the housing. The air bag is a tight fit so that when its installed,the back of the housing is resting on top of the cruise switch.This keeps the switch in place and won't move,even though its only held in by one screw.

Feel free to call me if I haven't explained this that well.

If the weather is nice for Dayton ,I'll have the dawg with me and I can open for inspection.

Otherwise I'll bring 03 TRD MATRIX XRS with.

See profile to find me

·
Super Moderator
46,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Steve Theodore said:
It all looks awesome Curt.

Help me out here though...your math is telling me I might need another black TRD steering wheel since the 1998 swap is so costly overall.

Anyway, I have obtained the following measurements:

1993-1997 stock MKIV steering wheel: 14.5 inch diameter
1998 stock MKIV steering wheel: 14 inch diameter

Are you telling me that the TRD steering wheel has a 13.5 inch diameter? Also, please elaborate on what made up the cruise control swap to the TRD wheel...this is of particular interest to me! Thanks very much. :)
When I get home today{i'm at work} I'll take the mesurements and post the sizes of the TRD vs Stock.:smile:

·
Super Moderator
46,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The dash bezels I masked off with 3m tape and shot with silver Aluminum spray paint from Menard's.

I did this so that they would match the APexi gauge bezels.

·
Super Moderator
46,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I PM'ed Jomar at TRD USA last week.

I'll post the results as soon as I find out.

Did you try Jarrett at PHR???

He has them listed on his web site.

www.powerhouseracing.com

Aluminum Gauge Bezel Kit. If you prefer the sporty and sophisticated look of aluminum bezels around the instrument cluster, then this kit is for you! Fits over the factory gauge bezels, and gives a whole new look to the Supra interior. Limited availability! Price: $100.00 set.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts