Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the TRD twin disc clutch, came with new LW flywheel.
I used all new FW bolts, pilot bearing, and throw out bearings with snap rings.

It goes through all six gears fine, but at idle, it make a loud clanking noise.
When i push the clutch pedal to the floor, it goes away. The noise is LOUD like the tranny going to blow at a red light. It does not make a squealing noise either. Could it be the throw out bearing?

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
If it sounds like a can of rocks. Its completely normal. Only way to hide it is to raise the idle or go back to a stock flywheel clutch setup.

·
Highway Demon
2,897 Posts
welcome to twin disk and lw flywheel noises.. i have been hearing this from my car for the past 4 years i beleive.. absolutly normal.. raise the idle to 1k and it will be better but on cold starts it will always sound like shit before it warms up.. enjoy the driving experience though.. i feel it is a even trade.. annoying noise for the way my car drives.. i love it..

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But... it makes really really loud noise in Neutrul. I don't even want to let the clutch pedal out at the red light. If I do, people will start looking at me like wow thats a nice supra but it sounds like shiet. WTF. One time the car was kinda shaking at idle. but when i press down the clutch it goes away. any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
NooBSupra said:
But... it makes really really loud noise in Neutrul. I don't even want to let the clutch pedal out at the red light. If I do, people will start looking at me like wow thats a nice supra but it sounds like shiet. WTF. One time the car was kinda shaking at idle. but when i press down the clutch it goes away. any other ideas?
That's one of the downfalls of the twin disk and lightened flywheel there isn't much you can do about it short of changing it.

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,096 Posts
NooBSupra said:
Mirroring what others have already said....it's actually normal (for those with lighter flywheel and/or multi-disk clutches). Depending on how much power you're putting down, there are a few single clutches that may do the trick. But even a single sprung clutch with light solid flywheel makes a lot of noise. Personally I'm going back to the stock flywheel and a South Bend DXD clutch. But I'm not making a ton of power either..... :eek:(

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
NooBSupra said:

Theres nothing you can do about it except swtich out the clutch setup to one using the stock flywheel. Raise the idle to about 1000rpm and that will help hide some of the sound if not most of it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your imputs guys.

I only driving on the clutch for 2 test drive miles and hate the noise, i'm thinking of taking it out and going with another clutch set that would be more quiet.

What do you guys think of the TRD single disc with stock flywheel?
I'm planning to go single in the near future making 500-600 hp.

What do you guys suggest at a good set up?

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
NooBSupra said:

I only driving on the clutch for 2 test drive miles and hate the noise, i'm thinking of taking it out and going with another clutch set that would be more quiet.

Thanks again

I recommend the Arizona Clutch kit with the stock flywheel. Its not quite as nice engaging as the TRD twin disk but you won't have near the noise and it has proven to hold more power. The Southbend is another clutch kit i recommend but the problem is that its limit is right where you plan to be. The southbend is what i'd choose if you were keeping it right around 500whp at most. It has the closest to stock feel.

·
Registered
999 Posts
NooBSupra said:

Thanks again

I'm running the TRD single disc but I'm still with the stock twins & BPU ++whatever.

It's firmer then stock but very driveable and grippy. I imagine it's a lot more forgiving then it's twin disc counterpart!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maz78 said:
I'm running the TRD single disc but I'm still with the stock twins & BPU ++whatever.

It's firmer then stock but very driveable and grippy. I imagine it's a lot more forgiving then it's twin disc counterpart!
Are you running Stock LWFW with this set up?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I would imagine the squeaking would go away if you set idle to 850-1000rpm..

Anybody using a regular stock flywheel with the twin disk, would it even work with the twin disk?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I called Jeff Watson at Champion toyota and he told me the stock FW will NOT work with the Twins disc set up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts