Supra Forums banner

TRD3000GT Cars

11K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  clodola 
#1 · (Edited)

I compiled a list of all know cars and their vins , I have been working on this last 13 years when I obtain a TRD3000GT , very difficult to get any information on them

How to read the TRD VIN
Model Serial # Year Month Factory

Some context , based on the TRD2000GT (SW20 MR2) I was able to decipher the TRD vin but I have some gaps
The letter before the date eg. "S" indicates which factory of the 5 factories made the car ie. (F)ukagawa, (O)gikubo, (S)hibaura, (T)ama or , (M)orooka factory. All the factories are in Tokyo, capital city of Japan except Morooka which is in in Kanagawa.

Mine reads:
  • Model: JZA80
  • Serial: 26
  • Factory: S
  • Year : 01
  • Month: 12
Part Numbers

TRD3000GT No 2 1993 Toyota Supra 4 Speed Auto TRD3000 #2
Vin No. JA800 - 0002 9412/WS1
TRD Kit: 51700-JA800 Pre-Facelift
TRD Build Year: 1994
TRD Build Month: 12
TRD Factory: WS1

TRD3000GT No 8 1997 Toyota Supra RZ 6 Speed Manual TRD3000 #8
Vin No. JA810 - 0008 9806/FWS
TRD Kit: 51700-JA810 Facelift
TRD Build Year: 1998
TRD Build Month: 06
TRD Factory: FWS

TRD3000GT No 13 1997 Toyota Supra VVTI Triptronic #13
Vin No. ?
TRD Build Year: ?
TRD Build Month: ?
TRD Factory: ?

TRD3000GT No 14 Removed from the original car
Vin No. JA800 - 0014 9808/WS
TRD Build Month: 08
TRD Factory: WS

TRD3000GT No 15 1999 Toyota Supra RZ 6 Speed Manual TRD3000 #15
Vin No. JA810 - 0015 FWS/ 99 03
TRD Build Year: 1999
TRD Build Month: 03

TRD3000GT No 21 1993/94 Toyota Supra Aerotop 6 Speed Manual TRD3000 #21
Vin No. JA810 - 021 0105 S
TRD Build Year: 2001
TRD Build Month: 05
TRD Factory: (S)hibaura

TRD3000GT No 26 1993 Toyota Supra RZ 6 Speed Manual TRD3000 #26
Vin No. JZA80 - 026 0112 S
TRD Build Year: 2001
TRD Build Month: 12
TRD Factory: (S)hibaura

TRD3000GT No 29 1993 Toyota Supra TRD3000 #29
Vin No. JZA80 - 29 9806/FWS
TRD Build Month: 06

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Brief History -- https://blog.toyota.co.uk/trd-3000gt-history

After Toyota Racing Development (TRD) was officially established in 1976 as the company’s in-house tuner, its engineers spent a significant proportion of their time preparing production cars for motorsport. But 18 years later, evidence was provided that TRD had inversed this procedure with the production of the TRD 3000GT, a road model directly inspired by a competition car.

TRD 3000GT in detail

A few months prior to the fourth-generation Supra’s arrival as a works entry in the inaugural Japanese Grand Touring Championship (JGTC) in 1994, TRD displayed a sensational road-legal version of the race car at the annual Tokyo Auto Salon aftermarket tuning show. Dubbed the TRD 3000GT, it wore the same widened and wind tunnel-honed bodywork as the new GT500 class super-touring Supra.

While every component of the TRD conversion became available to order individually as a dealer-fit accessory, the ultimate and most exclusive incarnation was a factory-built model. Only 35 examples of these were ever produced, each of which came with its own specially numbered VIN plate that officially re-classified the car as a TRD 3000GT rather than a Toyota Supra.

For TRD, this debut road project was more about improving performance by optimising the vehicle’s dynamic ability, rather than increasing power. So although the conversion did include enhanced engine-breathing products and uprated suspension, the primary focus was on exchanging heavy original bodywork for aerodynamically superior components made from fibre-reinforced plastic.

At the front, the new TRD bumper played a vital role in slicing through the air wall in front of the vehicle. The relatively sharp front splitter sent some of the atmosphere under the car, where the flattened floor guided airflow backwards to generate downforce and maximise the effect of the rear diffuser.

Much of the rest was directed through the larger bumper intake, which swallowed twice as much volume as the original. It then used three dedicated ducts to efficiently channel air towards the radiator, turbo intercooler (offside) and optional oil cooler (nearside).

Interestingly, one of the most instantly recognisable styling elements of the TRD 3000GT – its four geometric bonnet vents – were carefully positioned to relieve negative air pressure from all that incoming air and simultaneously improve cooling within the engine bay. But in general circumstances on the road, their functionality was disabled by special panels attached to the underside that were designed to protect the under-bonnet components from water damage. However, these could be easily detached for summer blasts and track days.

Moving to the sides, the TRD 3000GT offered a supercar stance with 60mm (front) and 50mm (rear) added to the overall width through widened wing panels. This was in order for wider wheels to be fitted, which in turn improved the car’s lateral grip. Linking the two ends were squared-off skirts designed to prevent airflow travelling along the upper surface of the body from interfering with ground level airflow. It also improved the flow of air into the side ducts, if a differential oil cooler had been specified.

At the rear, there were two different high-level wing designs: Type-S and Type-R. Both offered a cross-section and blade design that generated a greater aerodynamic advantage than that on the standard Supra. But while the triple-leg design of the latter offered a fixed arrangement, the blade of the more popular Type-S (see image above) could be set at six different angles. Finally, the diffuser built into the bumper consolidated all the existing aerodynamic refinements to effectively produce the downforce of the entire vehicle.

GR Supra 3000GT concept: an icon re-imagined

One of the most eagerly anticipated GR Supra models displayed at the recent SEMA show was the GR Supra 3000GT concept. Fittingly, this project was dreamed-up by the official customising and development department of Toyota USA.

Super GT championship (successor to the previous JGTC series), Toyota unveiled its new GT500 competitor for the forthcoming season – the new GR Supra.

#3 ·
Thanks for posting this info, I sure found it interesting.

One thing I am surprised about is that there was an automatic TRD3000GT manufactured. I just presumed that they would all be fully optioned RZ models, i.e the best of the best.

Also, its interesting to see that one of them also has the typical JDM body info tag, next to the TRD3000GT tag.

Do you know if all of the images you have posted are of the cars as they left the factory? As there are a few differing guard designs, and the odd rear taillights on one of them. Thats the sort of info that I would love to know.

Cheers :)

#4 ·
All cars have the normal oe vin in addition to the TRD plaque, your oe vin is still the vehicles legal identity stamp, trd plaque is just their as a show plate to say trd installed the kit

No2 car was further modded by the owner, the over flares and rear red lights are not by Toyota

From what I can tell, a customer bought a standard supra to their spec i. E. Auto, went to TRD and requested them to install a Trd3000gt kit with additional accessaeries like wheels, stickers, steering wheel, trd speedo, trd tacho...

I think their program was along the lines of nismo or the CRS (club race spec) Nissan do

#9 ·
I’ve always loved that silver catalog car with the Manaray MS-6 wheels.

Also, anyone happen to know the specs for the TRD Alumi-K wheels that they are usually fitted with? I’m sure it would be tame by today’s aggressive fitment/width but it’s gotta be a conservative spec that likely produced zero rubbing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.