Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Q: I am curious to know from any drag racers here, how many runs can i get on a new BFG drag radial before it begins to lose traction???? (considering it will only be run at the track not street). I am looking to get a pair of BFG g-force T/A drag radials but dont know if its worth getting if it has such a low tread life. Anyone here have experience with BFG DR's???

All suggestions are welcome :)

Kevin G.

·
Medium Ballin'
3,021 Posts
Hua said:
When you can't see the tread on it is when it really starts to shine. :cool:
ain't that the truth.

and you'll get to that point rather quickly because they dont' last for daily driving worth a shit.

might as well buy a spare set of rims and put some MT drag radials on 'em.

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hua,
so your sayin that when it loses its tread pattern is when it hooks best? shoot me, im confused :dunno:

bigmike,
i wont be using this for daily driving. They will be for a set of 16" spare wheels strictly for the track. Are you saying MT drag radials will last longer?

Anyone know approximately how many passes i can make before they begin to lose its traction???

·
Medium Ballin'
3,021 Posts
no, the mickeys will definately not last longer, but they are a better tire. if you're using them for track only, i'd get the MT drag radials.

G

·
I ran 1.63 60's on my 295/35/18's and they were bald as can be, no tread visible on the tire. I bought new ones before the race this weekend and went 1.90's on a hot ass track, so IMO they hook till they have belt showing. Big burnout's seem to make them work for me.

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many passes would u say that i can get outta a good set of MT drag radials?

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tommy2spd said:
I ran 1.63 60's on my 295/35/18's and they were bald as can be, no tread visible on the tire. I bought new ones before the race this weekend and went 1.90's on a hot ass track, so IMO they hook till they have belt showing. Big burnout's seem to make them work for me.
So like Hua was saying...when a tire becomes bald it hooks best on the track? this doesnt sound right.

·
Ex Supra Owner
1,077 Posts
Kevin, I have driven about 1000 miles on my BFG drag radials and went to the track and probably made 15 passes total on them but i do stay in the water box for quite some time and throw the smokers up before each pass. i still have tred left but street driving really kills them. esp since cali is full of pot holes and gravel all over the place isnt helping the tires life much either. Everywhere i go my car picks up rocks and throws them all over the place.

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MKIVdan said:
Kevin, I have driven about 1000 miles on my BFG drag radials and went to the track and probably made 15 passes total on them but i do stay in the water box for quite some time and throw the smokers up before each pass. i still have tred left but street driving really kills them. esp since cali is full of pot holes and gravel all over the place isnt helping the tires life much either. Everywhere i go my car picks up rocks and throws them all over the place.
Since i wont be daily driving these tires, you could say id get at least 30+ good passes before they'd be worthless?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I can only say that I made 8 passes and 8 burnouts with them so far. I only had them for less than a week. They still look pretty new. I use it only for the track as well.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,353 Posts
kevganzon said:
So like Hua was saying...when a tire becomes bald it hooks best on the track? this doesnt sound right.
In this case where we are talk about drag radials, yes. I mean, when you start showing cords and belts, it's probably time to retire them though. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I also notice mine hook up better when slick. More contact area equals more traction.

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Okay im looking at the Mickey Thompson ET "street radial" or BFG dr's and they'll be goin on a pair of 16" RX-7 wheels. The only 16" tire available for the M/T ET street radial is fitted for a 10" wide wheel. Whereas the RX7 wheels are only 9" wide.

Is it advisable to have a 26x10.5R16 on an RX-7 wheel?

G

·
ET Streets are definitely preferable over DR's at the track.

I had the BF DR's (18") and went through them in maybe 2500 miles. I used them for street driving and found they still couldnt keep my car planted. Since I have upgraded to a set of Bogart 16's with ET Streets and I am loving it. Ended up putting street tires on my 18" rims.

If you are looking to do some track use, do yourself the favor and get a set of ET Streets. You should be able to fit 26x10.5 on the RX7 rim.

·
Very Senior Member
10,067 Posts
garyhigh said:
I also notice mine hook up better when slick. More contact area equals more traction.
bingo!
slicks are called that for a reason.
Tread on street-legal tires is for street use only!

·
Registered
213 Posts
kevganzon said:
Okay im looking at the Mickey Thompson ET "street radial" or BFG dr's and they'll be goin on a pair of 16" RX-7 wheels. The only 16" tire available for the M/T ET street radial is fitted for a 10" wide wheel. Whereas the RX7 wheels are only 9" wide.

Is it advisable to have a 26x10.5R16 on an RX-7 wheel?
FD Rx7 wheels are 16x8

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
MTs are softer than bfgs. I swear I can leave a fingerprint imression just by pressing on them. That being said, I think the BFG's will last longer than the MTs. Both tires are proven to hook. Asking how many runs you will get out of them is a user dependent.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts