Let's see if anyone can explain what the hell happened here:

This is my R154 shaft

Opinions?

1. Thanks

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
220 Posts
Front bearing retainer snout completely broken off.
All kinds of things could cause this.
The most likely culpurit, something not centered to the assembly was flailing around wildly.
Guesses:
-Your throw out bearing fell apart or bearings failed. -Throwout bearing was not assembled properly.
-Clutch release fork not assembled properly or wore out and got jammed sideways.
-Old worn out parts abused when they should have been replaced.

How does your clutch / throwout bearing, fork, pressure plate, friction plate look?

There was also enough side load on the shaft to also break the nose off the input shaft.
The part is probably still lodged in the center of the pilot bearing in the back of the crankshaft.

What were you doing to this thing?

Also where are the photos of the other broken parts?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I think is a gearbox internal failure. I will open the transsmision next day,I have not opened the box because I am very angry!
I were in the road full throttle when suddenly I heard BOOM And Clutch,pressure plate and bellhousing are destroyed. Is it possible that the crankshaft is bent after the shaft breaks? I know that the crankshaft is much stronger than the shaft, but what do you think?

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
220 Posts
Why do you think it's a gearbox internal failure if the clutch is the part to fail?
The transmission is likely just the fallout from the clutch grenading.

More photos.

I would expect a lot of parts to be junk in that general vacinity.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok , i think we should do this thread for educational purposes. sorry for my english, i haven't spoken to anyone in a long time.

yes, broken clutch/pressure plate may be another cause of this failure but I doubt that the clutch is strong enough to bend the shaft. opening the gearbox will give us the answer.

As for the car, it is a MKIV turbo with conversion to R154, borg warner turbo, siemens 760cc injectors, aftermarket manifold ... I bought the gearbox in a junkyard.

another possible option is too much torque for the R154 but Im only boost at 18PSI...
Here are the pics of clutch,pressure plate and bellhousing?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
  1. But the biggest problem is not the transmission, is THIS:
    almost all the block holes are goneo_O . New block? Perhaps a good machine shop can repair them?

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
220 Posts
Yup.
There it is.
All those pieces flying around bent the input shaft and broke the nose off the bearing plate and pilot bearing.
Back of the block is also trashed.
I see a chunk missing off the crankshaft also.

To put it nicely you're SOL.
Find a new block, tranny, and use a better clutch next time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
better clutch? Is a ACT ceramic clutch! I know is not a tilton but as far I know ACT is a good brand (Or not?)

Here in Spain is very hard to get a block:(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
About the tranny I will buy this:

In spain is very easy to get a BMW gearbox. The kit comes with everything, swap costs are 1600 € and this tranny is strongest than R154. I have two friends with this kit and car Run very smooth.

·
From the land down under
4,028 Posts
Wow...well that is certainly a bag of bits, isnt it? :(

Sorry for your loss, as that is a serious failure, and I expect a new block will be required.

GL with the rebuild

·
Registered
405 Posts
Holy sheet, sorry man.hope everything works out for you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts