1 - 20 of 23 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LateralusFU said:
that thing probably has lag out the anus:bootyshak
very cool looking though!
I know, I have two turbos and it's twice as laggy as one!

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Walser said:

I know, I have two turbos and it's twice as laggy as one!
actually twin turbos usually have less lag you gotta compare two turbos that are smaller yet combined have the same flow characteristics as a larger single. 'Cause lag is pretty much determined by friction and size of the wheels, that's why "ricers" usually go w/ the T3/T4, get the power of a larger compressor but the spool of a smaller turbine.

As far as tri-turbos that seems a little odd 'cause I thought that a turbo needs to tap directly into the exhaust manifold and thus there should be only one or two per manifold, but not three! 'Cause w/ my "V" engine theres' a turbo on each exhaust manifold which also makes a single set-up seem impossible on a "V" 'cause one turbo would have to tap into two manifolds, but I guess Buick has already done it.... GN and GNX. As far as the Supra, a single is a lot easier 'cause it's an "I" block, so just one manifold and all 6 cylinders in a line, I actually think that a twin setup would be harder on an inline then a single, but I guess this stuff is just extremely confusing, any experts wanna help me out here?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a lot more complicated than the blanket statement that twin turbos will spool faster than singles. Sure, each has a smaller wheel to accelerate, but half the cylinders to do it. You have to take the weight of each wheel, the diameter, where that weight is distributed in the wheel, how much each wheel flows, etc. In the end, I have seen no demostrable evidence showing an equivalent sized twin turbo setup is superior to a large single - only more complication.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
However you have to take in the BA factor- how BadAss it is to have the HKS Twins - they just look too good :) I think the tri turbo is a big waste o' money. Darren - when are you gonna get a larger A/R on those bad boys!?

·
Registered
27 Posts
The car belongs to Rob Johnson of Intense Grafix. This car was built for the car shows and to my knowledge has not lost yet. He does not dyno nor race the car as it must be spotless. So he is not a crack head he knew exactly what he wanted to accomplish with his car.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
However you have to take in the BA factor- how BadAss it is to have the HKS Twins - they just look too good
This is true - but the only reason I got the twins is because I got them at a price I doubt anyone else has seen. Now, with the pricing they are at, I would have gottena T88 instead. But it is cool to hear the turbos spinning for a minute after you shut the car off.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RawDawg said:
The car belongs to Rob Johnson of Intense Grafix. This car was built for the car shows and to my knowledge has not lost yet. He does not dyno nor race the car as it must be spotless. So he is not a crack head he knew exactly what he wanted to accomplish with his car.
Also, that car WILL out spool any supra on here. It builds full boost in the 2000rpm area.....

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think that car was done more for the "OMG Factor" then anything else..

If power was the only issue, then a big single would solve that problem.

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
KING said:
Yes, that is my friend Rob Johnson's car from NTNS Grafix here in AZ. He built it to do something completely different as he is not into the dyno queen or 10 second 1/4 mile scene (although with 600hp and a built auto it should run 10's). There are three exhaust manifolds, each feeding a single small turbo, and as Zach says the thing builds boost significantly sooner than a stock twin car. There is a three page spread on the car in this months Import Racer Magazine.

Rob has built crazy trucks and cars in the past and has been a JL Audio full sponsor person on the audio side. For those of you who were trashing Rob's car, must of you idiots (from your comments) know jack-shit about turbo's. Like some moron stating it will take forever to spool. Listen knucklehead, if you don't have a flipping clue what you are talking about or don't understand how turbo's work, save your comments for the Peeway Herman board where your infinite wisdom is worth something.

Mark T.
www.suprastore.com
Are the turbos operating sequestially or parralel? Because if they are setup like hks twins than they are like any single o the market, there is the tradeoff of lag vs power. I don't doubt he can get ful boost by 2000rpm, but in that case hes only making around the same power as a smalll single that gets full boost by 2000rpm. He wouldn't have more power because of the triturbo setup but rather because of the efficiancy of the turbos.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Typical

KING said:
Yes, that is my friend Rob Johnson's car from NTNS Grafix here in AZ. He built it to do something completely different as he is not into the dyno queen or 10 second 1/4 mile scene (although with 600hp and a built auto it should run 10's). There are three exhaust manifolds, each feeding a single small turbo, and as Zach says the thing builds boost significantly sooner than a stock twin car. There is a three page spread on the car in this months Import Racer Magazine.

Rob has built crazy trucks and cars in the past and has been a JL Audio full sponsor person on the audio side. For those of you who were trashing Rob's car, must of you idiots (from your comments) know jack-shit about turbo's. Like some moron stating it will take forever to spool. Listen knucklehead, if you don't have a flipping clue what you are talking about or don't understand how turbo's work, save your comments for the Peeway Herman board where your infinite wisdom is worth something.

Mark T.
Typical intelligent response from Tozer, our resident fluid dynamicist.

Simple laws of physics tell us that you will not build boost significantly faster than stock twins. This car probably builds boost fairly well, as it has a relatively small turbo setup. You guys need to figure out that the single most important factor in "building boost" is how big your turbo is. Unless your exhaust and intake side are grossly mismatched, turbots spooling is more or less determined by how much power the turbo can make. Superimpose the dynos of a t62, t63, t66, and t72, and you will see exactly what I am talking about. Going to multiple shafts does assist in a small way, as there is a slight reduction in bearing friction with the higher # of thinner shafts (this is explained by a larger wheel being proportionally heavier per CFM than 2 smaller ones) but it is an insignificant amount. For backup there was a comparison of a t88 and the hks twins, these two setups are almost as different as can be in everything except HP capability, and they spooled almost exactly the same.

Dylan

·
Registered
205 Posts
I zone out at about "actually" so I just condensed based on your previous posts

KING said:
Actually - Blah Blah Posture Posture Blah Blah chest thump chest thump Blah Blah more internet sales than the whole universe blah blah is my hair all gone yet?

Mark T.
But seriously, you are saying these turbos build full boost at 2000 RPM? If you pay attention to my post, you will notice that I compared to very different setups (HKS and Greddy) as solid evidence for my statement that manifold design and all other factors are very secondary to CFM capabilty. In other words, a turbo that makes 600 HP is going to spool within +/- 20% or so regardless of other factors (this is with reason of course, clearly an exhuast manfiold with a giant hole in it or balcked 2, 4, 6 runners is going to spool much worse) you know as well as i do that 650 hp turbos that hit 28 PSI at 2k rpm is bullshit. Show me a dyno, and I will eat my words, fork and spoon, and buy one of these turbo kits.

Dylan

Where is Solid State U anyway?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts