Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Stock Boost FTL
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an easier way to get at the hose in the back of the head that goes to the block than just trying to sneak your hands in there? Can i jack up the back of the motor... Im pissing coolant everywhere and need to get this done asap...

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
no. ifyoure talkin about the 90* short hose that goes from the water pipe to the nipple on the back of the head... youre gonna have to finagle your hand in there.

try to get a flat head screwdriver up on the top nipple and help pry the hose off t he head. then once you get that off, you can twist and pull to break the seal on the lower water pipe.

unless you wanna pull the motor.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
flubyux2 said:

try to get a flat head screwdriver up on the top nipple and help pry the hose off t he head. then once you get that off, you can twist and pull to break the seal on the lower water pipe.

:doh: just dont do what i did and let that screwdriver slip off when you are pushing on it and stab your other hand that you are leaning on...and then have to go to the hospital for stitches and a tetanus shot... :cry:

:lol:

have fun!:D

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
Pull the clamps out of the way and cut the hose along its length. Its the easy way to remove hoses you don't plan to reuse. HTH

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
trick #1,073... replace the stock clamps that you have to squeeze together with the screw-tightening ones. The stockers are such a pain in the ass to squeeze together with needle nose pliers in that tight little spot, and getting a socket on the screw is a lot easier back there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just did this. use vasoline to lube up the nipples (save your comments till the end, please) and it'll slide right on. Also remove the engine hoist loop thing if you havent already. Have bandaids ready, and cuss alot. Also, check the EGR cooler plate for leaks, thats why mine was leaking, exhaust gasses were leaking directly onto that lil hose. I have an extra blockoff plate if you want to just remove the cooler, send a PM.

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
i managed to do it without tooo much problem. I put both hose clamps over the new hose and managed to pursuade it on with a screwdriver on both ends. I put some oil on the inside of the hose too so it would slide on easier. Then alligned the clamps and tightened them up

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I dont think its a good idea to put oil on the 90deg hose for two reasons:
1) Yes, it does make it easier to slide it on, but it also makes it easier for the hose to pop off in the future. I know that the pressure in that hose is not very high, but it's still a possibility.
2) Oil is known to speed up the corrosion of rubber when the 90deg hose is known to crack. Not a good combination! Considering how much of a PITA it is to replace the hose, i'd rather take the extra 5 minutes putting it on without any oil, than replace again in the future sooner then HAVE to.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
im with th elast 2 idiots...

dont put oil or any petroleum based product on a naturual rubber component. petroleum products cause natural rubber to deteriorate and swell. you should just take some straight coolant and lube up the insides of the hose and the nipples. it works just fine, better than water. if youre in a pinch, use some spit ;)

trust me, i do it All the tim and no complaints. at least if you use coolant as a lube, it wont be corrosive like water or slober..

·
Registered
58 Posts
flubyux2 said:
im with th elast 2 idiots...

dont put oil or any petroleum based product on a naturual rubber component. petroleum products cause natural rubber to deteriorate and swell. you should just take some straight coolant and lube up the insides of the hose and the nipples. it works just fine, better than water. if youre in a pinch, use some spit ;)

trust me, i do it All the tim and no complaints. at least if you use coolant as a lube, it wont be corrosive like water or slober..
Natural rubber? Except high-dollar specialty tubes for wrinkle wall drag slicks, natural rubber is VERY rare. the hose is made out of a petrolium based rubber. Vasoline is not volatile enough to damage the petrolim based rubber hose. And due to the fact that you cant get back there to wire brush and primer paint the nipples, the petrolium is actually protecting the metal. Also, what do you think your anti freeze is? its a petrolium based coolant. Definately more volatile then the vasoline, and just a pinch more volatile then slobber. :p

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
well its not like they are soaking it in oil.... just a thin swipe on the inside to get her on good. And if you get the metal screw-tightening clamps, then you can get them real tight and they wont pop off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts