Supra Forums banner

tried everything i know. need help

715 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  xpadawonx 
G
#1 ·
i still can't get the supra to start after a HG job. when i try to start the supra it will turn over but will never idle. some helpfull people on the forums said it was my timing and pointed me to links on how to set the timing. i followed the instructions and still nothing. i did the normal setting it to TDC lining up the notches on the CPS and it still wont start. i even tried not having it at TDC, putting it 5, 10, and 15 degrees off TDC. i got the best results on 10 degrees. it actually fires now but it wont idle. i know i'm getting spark, i know i'm getting gas, and i know it's got compression. does anybody have any idea what it could be. or mabye i'm doing something wrong when i try to set the timing. i really need to get it running cause my camaro went out on me and i really can't afford to get another car at the moment. any help or ideas would be appreciated, even if it's something little that could have been overlooked. thanks guys.

Andy

#2 ·
Got all grounds hooked up?

#3 · (Edited)
i say CPS, thatswhat my problem was
are you throwing any codes?

This CPS is seems to be tricky for many people.
I am not fond of the way the TSRM instructs us to do it.
When I put mine on, I plan on having the cover off of the CPS.
That way, I could see by eye where the internals are at in the CPS.
Here is an example of that:
http://www.jblmk3.com/id92.htm

G
#4 ·
yeah all my gorunds are hooked up. anything i unhooked when changing the HG i hooked back up.

that's the website i went to so i could figure out how to install the CPS. i did it exactly like that and never got it to idle.

What's the AIC air tube, where is it, and how would i check it?. i'm still a bit new to supras so i dont what everything is yet.

thanks

Andy

#6 ·
double check to make sure you installed the distributor right on.
Bring up the #1 cylinder and make sure your timing mark lines up as well as the distributor and the over haed cams. I had same prob when i did mine.

I was a hair off on distrib removed it then reset it. started right up.

G
#7 ·
Make Sure Mass Air Flow Sensor is plugged in. it is the sensor just after the air filter? Make sure there is no major air leaks between the air filter and teh intake manifold. This will cause the sensor to shut the car off. Had this problem when I changed My head gasket.

#10 ·
Make sure your cam gears line up with the marks on the back plate behind it.

#11 ·
you can stick a long screw driver in the #1 spark plug hole and turn it crank pulley till the screw driver comes all the way up.

#12 ·
Spoolme said:
you can stick a long screw driver in the #1 spark plug hole and turn it crank pulley till the screw driver comes all the way up.

yeah, just make sure it's something like a screwdriver that can't completely fall in your cylinder if you're not at TDC.......that leads to LOTS of cussing......and more than likely a nice head removal.....

Lata

G
#13 ·
that's a lot guys i got it running today. i think it was my timing and some vaccume leaks. it starts up and idles just fine. i do have other problems like when i give it some gas it'll stumble and when the RPM's drop it dies. and i need to replace that damn hose that's in the back that goes from the blaock to the head, i think it's a heater hose. damn that things a pain it the ass. is there an easy way to replace that hose??

thanks again guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.