Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and hope im posting this in right place but I am in desperate need of help. I took out my 7m engine to clean it up and check it out while doing a head gasket (plus whatever other gaskets i could reach) and when I went to put it back in I have no spark. It tries to kick on and I have fuel supply but it wont fire. I have trouble shot the plug, cap, wires and cps with no luck. Now I cant figure out what 2 wires go to after reinstall. The wires are pictured. Also I "deleted" a bunch of excess stuff that didnt look important....if I deleted something important please tell me. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
120 Posts
That's definitely not a good ground fix on the last picture, those bolt to the underside of the intake manifold towards the firewall.

A lot of times with the old wiring harnesses especially by the cps, they get hot and brittle. Try wiggling the cps wires while cranking. Not the plug wires, cps wires.

Also, put your coolant lines back on otherwise you'll overheat and blow another hg. A lot of the wires can be traced on the tsrm, a quick Google search will bring that up.

What all did you delete?

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
YotaMD.com author
730 Posts
"I 'deleted' a bunch of excess stuff that didn't look important."

I couldn't help but chuckle. I think the statement above may be your problem.

How can you tell what it important or not by just looking at it? What exactly did you remove? Did you simply disconnect everything or did you install dummy resistors or something?

I think your first picture shows the fuel pump relay and resistor disconnected. Did you delete those?

Beyond that I think we need to know what you deleted before we can be any help. If you can, put it all back together and don't delete anything until you know exactly what it is, what it does and how to properly remove it without disabling other valuable functions.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just from the pictures it looks as though you may have deleted the resistor for the injectors drive side fender well square box with a round plug yellow plug coming off of it if memory serves me right. Wouldn't cause no spark but it would cause the injectors not to fire

·
Registered
903 Posts

when did you do the head gasket, how is that exhaust stud/nut so friggin rusty already (pic two)? if you just backed the entire stud out b/c the nut is seized on, your about to have a nice exhaust tic/tic/tic.

·
7M Fanatic
3,266 Posts
You did the head gasket, and you left that rusty coolant fitting ?
Hate to see how you did the head gasket.....
I think suprarx7nut hit the nail on the head, you need to start over, or sell the car before you screw it up any more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. I'm gonna use all of it and see what I can figure out this weekend. As for the "rusty exhaust" and coolant fitting, this is a slow going restore as budget allows. I know allot more then head gasket needs to be fixed but FOR NOW those parts are (or were when I pulled the engine) functioning so they are not emergency fixes. The hoses are only disconnected to aid tracking down and checking all my grounds. I hate to come off as someone who is "destroying" a MKIII. Thanks again for the info.

·
///M3 > MKIII
2,302 Posts
sell the car before you screw it up any more.
Jeez, it's not a Ferrari pal.. let the guy learn and fix mistakes and work through issues for Christ sake!

OP no spark on a MKIII is usually the cps, are you certain you have it timed correctly ? I would double check that, clean bolt down those grounds like they should be, plug in any of the components you deleted.. it's been too long for me under the hood of a 7m I can't tell you which if any of those connectors are important for startup.

kinda curious how you determined you have no spark, because this quote "It tries to kick on and I have fuel supply but it wont fire" makes it sound like it's trying to start but won't?... which to me sounds like a possible timing issue.. back to the cps.

·
YotaMD.com author
730 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm gonna use all of it and see what I can figure out this weekend. As for the "rusty exhaust" and coolant fitting, this is a slow going restore as budget allows. I know allot more then head gasket needs to be fixed but FOR NOW those parts are (or were when I pulled the engine) functioning so they are not emergency fixes. The hoses are only disconnected to aid tracking down and checking all my grounds. I hate to come off as someone who is "destroying" a MKIII. Thanks again for the info.
If you're willing to learn and "do it right" you'll get more help than you know what to do with. If, on the other hand, you keep removing random engine parts and wonder why it won't start.... we're going to give you shit. ;)

There's not much you can just straight up disconnect from the 7M engine bay and still have a functioning engine. You can relocate stuff, which people do, but not much can just be taken out. Put it back together and then let's reconvene and see where you are.

·
Registered
903 Posts
why does it feel like the 6pack "start over" is the initiation to this forum lol (I got the same super useful comment on my 1st post haha)

I mentioned the exh studs no to rip on your build my man ... more to prevent you from making a mistake I made on my 1st MK3 HG. you can't get good torque with the stud acting like a bolt (aka with the nut seized on). what happens is the exhaust walks loose after a few heat cycles. then you grab a 14m and tighten them up because the tic noise sucks bad, only to rip the soft aluminum threads out of the head. then you have to get the manifold out of there to do the helicoil fix - not fun.

·
7M Fanatic
3,266 Posts
To 1qwik,
I see way too many people buy these old cars, start taking things apart, and trying to fix things they know nothing about.
It isn't their lack of knowledge, hell we all started some place.

But the smart thing to do, is to not assume that a MkIII is not any harder to work on than a BMX, and grab a shop manual.
In the case of the MkIII, it's free !
(on line).

And I've always thought that not coddling someone is the best way to create the urge to learn.
Either they get it, or they decide they would rather buy a mini-van, and move on.

And as that rusty fitting, and others like it functioning......
Yeah, they fuctionerd alright, they leaked, and probably part of the cause of the head gasket failure.

Sorry, I don't believe in 'no child left behind' schools.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts