Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did some work on my non running supra i bought a couple days ago. The previous owner didn't know why it wouldnt start.

I found about 5 vacuum lines unhooked and a few plugs and clips, so i put them back together. Also, I found an igniter laying around so i put that on. Then i double checked the timing to make sure it was on. Now the car turns over and really feels like she wants to start but just cant quite get there.

I noticed a green plug on the drivers side of the block that's unhooked but it wont hook up correctly to the block. On my other engine, there are two of them, but only one seems to be unhooked on the one in the car. Are these knock sensors or what? If not, do I need them to start the car?

both 87 5spd 7mgte's

· Registered
128 Posts
how many wires does the green connector have?

1 = knock sensor wire, would not cause the car to not start

start by testing fuel pump and gas in the tank

in the diagnostics thing you use to run codes connect b+ to the FP and you should hear the fuel system pressurize

if this works make sure there is good pressure by loosening the banjo bolt on the fuel rail, you should spray fuel everywhere, if so then....

pull one of the plug wires and put a spare plug on it, then while watching that plug crank the engine.

This will check fuel and spark

if fuel is not working then we can do some diagnostics to figure out what is wrong

if spark isn't working then this thread will probably turn into 10 pages :) (unless you're lucky and can just jiggle the CPS wires)

I bought my car and the ECU ground was loose, took a while to discover but most of the time no starts are because of something stupid like that

· Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, I have both fuel and spark. I'm thinking the timing may be off...? the previous owner said this:

"After i washed the engine, it would surge at an idle but was fine while driving. A friend said it was a head gasket so he replaced it for me and ever since then it wont start."

maybe he messed up the timing after the hg job? And the CPS has to be timed too right?

The guy could be pulling my leg too though because when i got the car the igniter and some other part with 3 vac hoses going to it were missing. This car may or may not have been tweakerized... help

· mach chicken
3,878 Posts
have you ever had a BHG?

rob compression from a cycl, and see how much it wont want to turn over at times.

Pending if the HG was done correctly I could see tons of issues still pointing at it.

No loss or harm in doing a compression test, it will let you know where you sit anyways. Especially for how simple it is to do.

· Registered
229 Posts
have you ever had a BHG?

rob compression from a cycl, and see how much it wont want to turn over at times.

Pending if the HG was done correctly I could see tons of issues still pointing at it.

No loss or harm in doing a compression test, it will let you know where you sit anyways. Especially for how simple it is to do.
i personally havent had one but i've been around several and i've seen engines start off half of there cylinders :/

· Night in the Ruts
979 Posts
I've started my car with two blown pistons and a blown headgasket. I would pull the cam gear cover off, set the engine to TDC, check the marks on the cam gears, they should be a 12 o clock, then I would pull the CPS and set that where it's suppose to be. If you have to re set any or all of them, try to start the car after they are set. Get back to the basics of as if you just put the head back on.

· Night in the Ruts
979 Posts
Compression test results:

1: 120
2: 140
3: 140
4: 140
5: 115
6: 130
After you get the thing running, take the oil filler cap off while it is running, if you see white smoke puffing out of the engine....you have a cracked piston, based on your test it would be #5, and 1 and 6 could be damaged too, but it will still start in this condition.

· BOSS GT61 Powered
219 Posts
also check fuel pressure

· Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
air flow meter is plugged in, fuel pressure is good.

I was trying to get the CPS timed right when I noticed a few wires going to it were cut. The plug off the harness is nowhere to be found...

can anyone tell me how to wire up the CPS to the harness without the connector?

I would GREATLY appreciate it.

· Registered
301 Posts
Yeah i would say that your problem in the starting seems to be caused by the cps in what i can tell from what your saying.. That low of compression isnt good but it should still run even if it runs crappy... MY friends 7m was doing the same thing when we droped in his new engine.. Then we adjusted the cps little by little and it fired right up after adjusting it like two times so i would do that.. But yeah the wires to the cps all need to be hooked up first.. Hope i could be of some help to ya and good luck!;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.